Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many poker sites do you have accounts with?
0, WTF is poker? 2 3.85%
1, is it only party? 1 1.92%
2, party and empire for rakeback 2 3.85%
3-5 places, just checking the neighborhood to see hwat's out there 13 25.00%
6-10, party, stars, empire, UB, paradise, hitting up the majors 16 30.77%
11-17, its all about the bonus whoring 11 21.15%
18-25, what are some more sites so next time I'll be in the largest group? 4 7.69%
26+, yeah, I have a problem with bonus whoring. If its got poker in the name, I'm there. 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Late stages pre-money, bb decision

54 people left in a tournament that pays 40 places. 200/400 blinds with 50 antes. Average stack is 8750. Hero has arrived at a table an orbit and a half ago and this table has 5 of the 9 players with more than 2x average stack, and the number 1 and 3 chip leaders. The table has been very loose/agressive so far with several multiway contested pots and a couple of successful blind steals, no unraised pots. Hero has 4900 chips at the start of the hand and is the 35th overall in the tourney, but 8/9 in chip stack size on the table and is the BB. UTG+1 has around 10000 chips and raises to $1850. All fold to hero in the BB who looks down at pocket 8's. Should Hero push, call, or fold? what would you do?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Late stages pre-money, bb decision

I voted fold, but I think I might prefer a stop and go manuever where you smooth call pre-flop and move all-in on any flop.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted fold, but I think I might prefer a stop and go manuever where you smooth call pre-flop and move all-in on any flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't like a stop-n-go here. villain will correctly fold overcards and call with a pair. if you do call, i think a better line is to check-fold an A-high flop and check-call anything else. i think villain will usually move in if he misses.

this seems really weak, but i'd i fold pre-flop. it's definitely close - i'd push 99 and hope villain made a bad fold.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:04 PM

Yeah, so here is what happened:

Results: <font color="white"> I pushed, villan called with AQo. River was a Q and I was out. </font>

Which had me thinking that maybe an alternate line would be call, push any non-A, non-8 flop. check-call any 8 flop. check-fold any A flop. This play is going to be no worse for me against higher pairs then pushing on the flop, and if villan has overcards he has to hit them on the flop, or else he'll likely fold. So I think I win more often this way. But the down side is when I win I only win the 1850 and when I lose I lose my whole stack.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, so here is what happened:

Results: <font color="white"> I pushed, villan called with AQo. River was a Q and I was out. </font>

Which had me thinking that maybe an alternate line would be call, push any non-A, non-8 flop. check-call any 8 flop. check-fold any A flop. This play is going to be no worse for me against higher pairs then pushing on the flop, and if villan has overcards he has to hit them on the flop, or else he'll likely fold. So I think I win more often this way. But the down side is when I win I only win the 1850 and when I lose I lose my whole stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

check-calling the flop has the advantage that you'll usually win the stack of overcards (who push most flops).