Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Most profitable O/8 games?

I usually post in the STT forum, but I'd like to get into O/8 since it seems like this game would be very profitable if one knows decent hand selection, etc.

My question is this: What seems to be more profitable: cash games or SNGs? Which has less variance?

I know for texas holdem the consensus is that cash games may be slightly more profitable (depending on your style of play), but with much greater variance.

I'm thinking of learning about O/8 and then starting off with around a $600 BR. If I started playing cash games with this size BR, is 2/4 a good level to be playing? If I started playing SNGs, what size buyin would anyone suggest?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

>>>Zipppy
Old 05-12-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Most profitable O/8 games?

"What seems to be more profitable: cash games or SNGs?"

Cash games, especially longterm.

"Which has less variance?"

SNGs have less variance than LHE, and O8 has less variance than SNGs. E.g. 4 tabling the $55s you really want at least a 40 buyin BR. To get a similiar $/hr, you could play 3/6 O8 which only requires maybe $1200. With $2.2k, you could play 6/10 O8 anyway and make much more.

"I'm thinking of learning about O/8 and then starting off with around a $600 BR. If I started playing cash games with this size BR, is 2/4 a good level to be playing? If I started playing SNGs, what size buyin would anyone suggest?"

2/4 you could get away with $600, although I'd want more. I've been playing .5/1 for the last 10 days getting used to the game. However, I did have 1k of party skin bonuses to clear [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I'm playing 2/4 now. Start at .5/1 until you are comfortable with the game. Then move to 2/4.

"If I started playing SNGs, what size buyin would anyone suggest? "

I assume you mean O8 sngs. Same as NLHE sngs.

You can get away with a smaller BR if you are willing to drop down in limits when necessary.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:43 AM

Am I right to assume that the .5/1 O/8 games on party are soft? Sometimes I wonder if there'd be a higher percentage of sharks in these games since most people would avoid playing them.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:02 PM

For me, O8 cash games are more profitable than SNGs. In any event, if you want to play SNGs, I would recommend NLHE rather than O8 or PLO8. Playing the bubble correctly is much easier in a NLHE SNG than an O8 SNG.

In my experience, O8 cash games have less variance than SNGs.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I right to assume that the .5/1 O/8 games on party are soft?

[/ QUOTE ]

Soft does not even begin to describe the .5/1 games. Knowledge of proper starting hands alone is enough to destroy them. You will routinely see 7-8 players taking the flop and then calling all the way to the river if they catch any piece of it.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Zipppy, the .5/1 games are unbelievably bad, and easier to learn to beat than even the $11 sngs.

"For me, O8 cash games are more profitable than SNGs"

That's interesting. Per table, I agree. It's pretty close at the lower levels, but once the O8 player hits 5/10 6max (vs $55 sng) his per table profit becomes much larger.

The snger may have an advantage in multitabling though. 8 $109s is definately possible, but for the O8 player to compete he'd probally need 5 tables of 10/20. Doesn't matter, I'd refer to earn $120 an hr 4tabling 10/20 O8 than play 11-12 $109s an hr for $160.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing the bubble correctly is much easier in a NLHE SNG than an O8 SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]
Amen. Since I was a successful NL Hold'em SNG player I decided to try some O8 SNGs. These things take forever since everyone is involved in every hand and they all take forever to act. Also as the previous post says the bubble and HU isn't the same since agression alone won't win it. I've lost huge chips leads HU a couple times already still looking for my first 1st place finish.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"For me, O8 cash games are more profitable than SNGs"

That's interesting. Per table, I agree. It's pretty close at the lower levels, but once the O8 player hits 5/10 6max (vs $55 sng) his per table profit becomes much larger.

The snger may have an advantage in multitabling though. 8 $109s is definately possible

[/ QUOTE ]

I never play more than four tables at once, and usually I only play 2-3. This is true of both SNGs and O8. I four-tabled SNGs for a couple of days last month, and I nearly went crazy. In one batch, I was ITM in all four games at once. Trying to keep up with four, shorthanded games was too much effort for me, and made me respect the hell out of all of the 8-tablers posting on this forum.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:42 PM

I’ve only played a couple O8 SNGs (but many NL SNGs) but they seem kinda pointless to me.

You can’t get many reads on people since they should be playing bit looser shorthanded and its bi-directional anyway.

Most hands are not big favorites head to head, so as blinds get big it is more correct to call, and you’re not much of a favorite,

So your skill advantage is lower and it ends up being more of a crapshoot.

You’ll still be a winner, but I’d think your earn would be less tho variance less as well.

--Greg