Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 02-23-2005, 02:42 PM

Default When do the blinds go up?

The bell goes to indicate the blinds are to go up to the next level. To which blinds does the increase apply? To the next blinds to be placed if the first card of the new round has not yet been dealt, to the blinds of the current round if the cards for the round have been dealt but the small blind hasn't yet posted, or when?

The former seems appropropriate but I can't find any rule on the point.

Thanks

Trantor
Old 02-23-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: When do the blinds go up?

the next hand dealt. if a card has been dealt for the current hand, then you should wait until the next hand.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:15 PM

I thought a round began with the first rifle of the deck.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:58 PM

First riffle. If the new dealer is already shuffling then the hand is played at the old blind level. If he's just gathering the muck it's played at the new level.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:11 PM

What if you're playing the 'one ahead' method where the SB/etc. shuffles the previous deck while the current one is in use. If the timer expires during the hand, and the next deck is shuffled/ready, then still apply the new blinds? This makes the most sense. What if the timer expires during the hand and the old deck isn't shuffled yet? I say still post the new blinds next hand.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:21 PM

Hm, I guess with the "shuffle ahead" method I would rule that the blinds increase this hand if the cards aren't in the air yet. You could possibly make the "cut behind" your cutoff too. Just pick a definite action to use, it doesn't matter if it's arbitrary.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if you're playing the 'one ahead' method where the SB/etc. shuffles the previous deck while the current one is in use. If the timer expires during the hand, and the next deck is shuffled/ready, then still apply the new blinds? This makes the most sense. What if the timer expires during the hand and the old deck isn't shuffled yet? I say still post the new blinds next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

As already mentioned, the next round begins with the first riffle of the cards after the previous hand is completed.

If the timer expires during a hand, it's pretty much irrelevant if the next deck is shuffled or not, the next hand will have the new blinds applied as the previous hand was not even completed when the blinds expired.

If the timer expires during a previous hand, then obviously the higher blinds apply on the next hand, regardless if you are using the shuffle ahead method or not.

When people get confused is when the hand is over, someone is gathering cards, scoopint the pot, etc. and the timer goes off. In this situation, I would say the new blinds apply immediately, even if you are using the shuffle ahead method. If you were not using the shuffle ahead method, there is no way the cards could have been riffled as you have not collected them yet.

Main thing is, be consistent whichever way you do it.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:05 PM

My game usually plays that unless both people have already posted their blinds, the blinds go up. This way encourages people to be ready because they will be directly effected. That way if the small blind wasn't posted, both have to post the higher blinds. The big blind will surely yell at the small blind and they will be ready next time (hopefully). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It's also easier to remember than what stage the shuffle is at, etc.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My game usually plays that unless both people have already posted their blinds, the blinds go up. This way encourages people to be ready because they will be directly effected. That way if the small blind wasn't posted, both have to post the higher blinds. The big blind will surely yell at the small blind and they will be ready next time (hopefully). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It's also easier to remember than what stage the shuffle is at, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good rule to have as it promotes consistency and it probably does help ensure that players post their blinds expediently. But, that would suck in the game i play in we have to constantly remind players to post...maybe I'll institute that in our game.