Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 06:39 PM

Default AJ flops TPTK...and I\'m lost.

Ok I'm pretty new to the multi table SNG's so forgive me if these are easy questions.

3 table SNG on party, 27 left, early (blinds 10/15 I think), table seems pretty tight/passive, nobody mixing it up much.

I have about 875...I'm UTG + 1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], raise to 50, all fold to the BB who calls.

Flop is J, rag rag rainbow. BB bets 200 into a pot of 110...Hero???
Old 02-14-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: AJ flops TPTK...and I\'m lost.

tricky - wots he like? any idea??

sounds to me he he putting you on Ax and you have missed the flop - or low pair, or KQo and is betting to steal - I would reraise to 600
(then again I am new to this!)

cheers

Damian
Old 02-14-2005, 07:32 PM

Re-raising to 600 is an overbet here because it's so early in the tourney and the pot is only 300, so you're either not going to get called by weaker jacks (which you want), or you're only going to get called by a small PP that hit the rag set (which you don't want). I think you re-raise here to 300 (the size of the pot). Your only potential problem is if he then goes all-in - you have to decide if you want to put your TPTK against a possibly slowplayed bigger PP, or a crappy set, or is he holding a weaker jack.

gl,

ts-
Old 02-14-2005, 07:37 PM

thanks for the response - I hadn't thought of it like that

cheers TS

Damian
Old 02-14-2005, 07:37 PM

Since he overbet the pot, any decent raise is half my chips and commits me. I think it's all in or fold, no?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:32 PM

ooh - tricky. i misread your original post and thought he had bet 110 into a pot of 200 (shows how careful I am to keep track of the pre-flop betting too). sorry about that. this indeed makes the situation more tricky.

now that i understand the situation, i agree - if you raise him at all, you have to push because anything less and you're committed anyway, but pushing gives you the extra folding equity too. do you have any kind of a read on him? what's his stack size? i know it's early in the MTT, but maybe he put you on overcards that didn't hit, so he's trying a steal. if he's a big stack already, he might try this and overbet the pot, knowing that he can still fold if you come over the top of him. i think it's unlikely that's you're behind here, because an overpair would try to rope you in by checking or making a small bet - but his overbet is trying to scare you.

any reads on him?

ts-