Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2004, 12:06 PM

Default Looking for legal advise, in the Zoo, of all places!

I recently became the "A" word for a large online poker room. (My fiance says I've been the "A" word for years now.)

Last night while playing I suggested in the chat box that you could get a sign up bonus and gave my website address.

A player asked if my isp knew that I had the website up. I answered that I assumed they did.
He started going on and on about how it was illegal and stuff like that.

My question is: Am I breaking the law?

Thanks in advance,
-Steve
Old 12-01-2004, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Looking for legal advise, in the Zoo, of all places!

There are plenty of websites like yours around and nobody's getting busted for them so it's probably not illegal. You are, however, the "A" word for spamming the chatbox.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:06 PM

Anyone?

I dont want to end up in jail with a 300lb cellmate named Bubba that thought the movie Deliverance was a love story.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:10 PM

Thanks.....But I wasnt spamming. Someone asked if anyone played at the site that Im with and I just mentioned the sign up thing. I can see from my original post how it looked that though.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:48 PM

Start by reading the "terms of service" with your ISP. You don't end up in jail with Bubba unless you commit a crime. Think about what the crime might be here and whether there is a criminal statute or ordinance that you might be violating. Then there is the consideration of whether the local prosecuting attorney has better/more important things to do than to draw up a complaint, get the cops to go out and arrest you, charge you, take you to trial, and then throw you in jail where they have to "feed" and pay your anal repair bills. Much more likely is that your ISP will terminate your account, but even that's pretty slim these days unless they see a whole lot of traffic in and out on your IP address. It used to be a far bigger deal than it is now. But you pays your money and you takes your chances.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:08 PM

I think I hear the cops knocking on your door right now!!

Affiliating for an online-site is just marginally more 'illegal' than playing at an online-site imo.

Note, I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV.
But, to my knowledge, NOBODY has ever been charged for being a partypoker (or other site) affiliate.
That doesn't mean it can't happen.....but there are certain practicalities involved and it strikes me as extremely unrealistic.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Affiliating for an online-site is just marginally more 'illegal' than playing at an online-site imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is quite clear that there is a major difference. Playing poker online has not been determined to be a violation of any Federal statute. However facilitating a criminal enterprise (one of many statutes which an affiliate may well fall under) is a serious Federal crime.