Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-06-2004, 12:18 AM

Default What would have to happen?

I was thinking about how relatively pointless the VP debate seems to be and wondering, what would a VP (either side) have to do during the debate to actually cause you to consider switching sides? It seems most people have been set on who they're voting for this November since November of 2000, so I'm wondering what would have to happen. Yeah I know that this is a frivolous, pointless topic, but I was bored; it could lead to some interesting responses, maybe [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2004, 12:29 AM

Default Re: What would have to happen?

Not really your main point, but stating that most people have had their minds made up since Nov. 2000 is extremely off the mark. In other elections this is perhaps the case, but with so much happening right now, people are taking a much harder look at who will be our next president. In fact, I think many people are paying attention to the debates in order to decide if Kerry is a viable alternative to Bush, with many people not being completely happy with Bush, but not sure if a change is a good idea at this time. I do think there are many people who will vote for Kerry if he can prove to be a viable candidate -- so many people that he could win -- if he can show his competence and ability to lead. That is his test in the next month.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:44 AM

Maybe "most" is too extreme, but I suspect there are a significant number of folks who blindly vote for the (D) or the (R) regardless of what the candidate actually does. My sense is that, at least among people who care about politics, there is a very sharp division between voters from both political affiliations (either Bush is great or Bush sucks) and I'm not sure to what extent what has been going on will influence folks to the point where they would switch sides. I hope you're right and people are meaningfullly looking at what's going on, maybe I'm just less optimistic.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:50 AM

I'm a young man and have not been alive during many elections, but being a student of history and just having a sense of the general discontent of a large portion of the populace with the current administration, I think the turnout for this election will be quite high and I also think the number of swing voters is much higher than normal. Many people just want to know they have a viable alternative to Bush before casting their vote.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:37 AM

The VP candidate would have to say or do something incredibly stupid.

Imagine Edwards saying "Terrorism isn't so bad. Only a few thousand people died on 9-11. That's not too many people in the long run. If John Kerry is elected President, we will invite the terrorists to the White House and talk to each other over some French wine". That would change a few votes.

Or, if Cheney said "President Bush isn't so smart but that hasn't stopped him from waging war across the planet. And, he's funded that war despite giving big tax breaks to big businesses that kiss his cowboy ass. Vote for Bush and I guarantee we'll blow those damn muslims straight to hell".

I guess those are extreme examples. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But, an extreme mistake is what it would take. Even Bob Dole's "Democrat wars" comment in 1976 didn't cause Ford to lose the election. (though Ford's contention of no Communist domination in Eastern Europe may have)