Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2004, 04:11 AM

Default The math looks okay, but it makes me feel icky.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18.50 BB, between UTG and UTG+1.</font>
Old 09-26-2004, 04:18 AM

Default Re: The math looks okay, but it makes me feel icky.

You need to raise preflop for value.

Then raise the flop. Turn is fine. River's fine.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:56 AM

Hey there Bison (and whoever else feels like answering...),

I've been poking through the past forum posts and came across this one. I ask these questions not out of disagreement, but out of a desire to better understand whats going on here. (i.e. Please don't take it the wrong way that the forum newbie is asking these questions...how else to learn, really? ::smiles:

[ QUOTE ]
You need to raise preflop for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the looks of it, Paul has KJs in MP with 3.5 bets in the pot when it comes to him. Is this really a position where you can raise for value?

If so, is it based on the strength of the flush draw and the probable looseness of the calls at 2/4? (I'd expect that you would be looking for later position along with another limper (4.5 bets) in order to be able to raise for value there. However, I'm not 100% sure of the math...)

Along the same lines, what do you do if you get a late position reraise after raising KJs in MP? I feel like lots of hands could beat you there, even if you hit TP on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Then raise the flop. Turn is fine. River's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I understand this one -- I assume this raise is in order to pick off a free card on the turn if you don't make your flush?

I'm trying to juice up some of my aggressiveness; any insights are appreciated.

-Brian
Old 09-29-2004, 02:00 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

in a soft game, raise KJs and ATs in any unraised pot, in any position, with any amount of limpers. raise QJs and KTs a lot of the time too, in unraised pots. suited hands are your friends. unsuited hands are not.

and the flop raise is because you're 1.86-1 to make a flush, which means that if you can get 2+ people in a pot with you, you're making money in the longrun.