Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 03:36 AM

Default A Thin Value Bet

So Ive been playing pretty aggro stars 10-20.

I raise Q9h in MP to 40, one caller on the button.

Flop 872 2 spades. I bet 110, guy calls.

Turn Qc. I bet 230, guy calls.

River 3h. I bet 420.

No real reads except he called my flop bet fast and seemed like a normal maybe slightly passive player.

-Jason
Old 09-15-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: A Thin Value Bet

Err I made it 60 to go.

-Jason
Old 09-15-2005, 05:53 AM

Looks good to me. Either you are ahead or he is trapping. Qx [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is really the only other hand that could beat you.

Part of aggressive play is that opponents start to lower their calling standards, so your next move is to start making thinner value bets. This is a good spot for one, as the low board might convince him his midpair-type hand is good.

The only reason I am not betting here is if he is tricky (will trap a lot, will bluffraise the river, might have bluffed at a river check with a missed draw, etc), and you give no indication of that.

Bet away.

-muz
Old 09-15-2005, 07:53 AM

"A Thin Value Bet
So Ive been playing pretty aggro stars 10-20."

I wouldn't have suspected to hear that in a Jasson Strassar thread! Can't see much value here on the river, he folded pocket tens in the hand.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:33 PM

Any merit to a value check-call?

Think about how he perceives your line when you go 60-110-230-420 versus 60-110-230-check.

The kinds of hands you target with this thin value bet: hands like A8 or TT, may or may not call when you 3-barrel this board (your bet looks scarily like a value bet) but may make a thin value bet themselves if you check.

You can also induce bluffs from whiffed draws or some tricky bloke that was waiting to push you off the hand all along.

You aren't folding out any better hands, and checking to a better hand is unlikely to force you to call of a bet significantly bigger than your 420.

Everett
Old 09-15-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"A Thin Value Bet
So Ive been playing pretty aggro stars 10-20."

I wouldn't have suspected to hear that in a Jasson Strassar thread! Can't see much value here on the river, he folded pocket tens in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

TT played it badly then, if that is true.

how does he call the turn and fold to a river bet on a blank? jason has the capacity to 3barrell bluff so it makes no sense "assuming your opponent would shut down with a bluff" on the river.

or TT can raise the flop, or the turn for showdown, or fold the turn if he thinks he's beaten, etc etc.

call,call,call, fold would not be my action w/ TT. and this bet imo should get called by TT and the like (but c/c is probably better)
Old 09-15-2005, 05:20 PM

I think TT is probably going to call a fair share of the time as well as other worse pairs.

I try to take advantage of the tendency most players have of putting this type of three barrell betting style as either a very good hand or air.

-Jason