Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2004, 06:34 PM

Default I need some advice on this AQo hand.

UTG+1 has made poor preflop decisions (calling with sub-optimal hands) and makes predictable decisions postflop (bets with a hand, slows down to aggression if he has less than the nuts, folds with nothing).

No read on Button.

SB seems terrible: too loose preflop, calls too much postflop, attempts checkraises on the river with nothing against an aggressor.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero ...?</font>
Old 10-09-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: I need some advice on this AQo hand.

This is usually an autoraise-cap flop for me w/TPTK. Raise to protect your hand and to push out unprofitable backdoor/gutshot draws.

About 10% of the time, you can call the flop and raise the turn. Depends on your preference.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:40 PM

Im not saying this to be a dick, just to enforce my point. If you dont know the correct play here you need to seriously drop some limits and get ALOT more study in.

If you do anything except raise 100% of the time in this spot you are making a mistake.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:40 PM

With 3 opponents in this hand, you have to raise. Headsup, I would consider calling the flop and raising the turn, if I think he's likely to bet the turn unimproved.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:07 PM

Okay, I think a consensus has been reached on the flop.

Here's the flop action and turn.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero ...?</font>
Old 10-09-2004, 07:16 PM

now you are getting to something more interesting [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Normally I raise this spot. Most all oppoents go for a checkraise if they did in fact have the 4.

If your read on him is strong enough that you can fold to a 3 bet if you raise, then a raise is all the better a play. It costs you the same as calling down, and gets you an extra bet when he just has a queen. If you dont feel you can fold to a 3 bet and there is strong enough suspicion in your mind he would actually bet out if he has a 4, then there is nothing wrong with calling down.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I think a consensus has been reached on the flop.

Here's the flop action and turn.

SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero ...?</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Curiuos - I see this is alot, and it just baffles me some times. It's like they are testing whether you really have a Queen or just being aggressive with AK or some other missed big cards.

I'd raise here, and then start to be cautious if he came at me again at the river.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]