Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Set hits vs. weak tight nit

Villain is 11/2/1.38 His reraise tells me AA/KK/QQ and less likely, but he could also have AK.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP2 ($526.30)
MP3 ($102.80)
CO ($467.75)
Hero ($200)
SB ($220.20)
BB ($200)
UTG ($93)
UTG+1 ($154.21)
MP1 ($310.82)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $14</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $9.

Flop: ($34) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $33</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $75</font>, SB calls $42.

Turn: ($184) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero calls $110 (All-In)

I know everyone hates min-raises, and I do too. But in this situation, I thought it was the best move because this is what I would raise to if I had AK or AQ missed overs and thought he was trying to push me off my hand. I know the raise shows my hand is strong, but since I think it's likely he has AA or KK, he still has to think he is ahead. I didn't want to smooth call at the time, fearing he hits his 2 outer, but in hindsight, I think I may have been a little jumpy. Give me a plan for flop, turn, and river. Is this minraise okay given the situation, or is it terrible just like all the other ones?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Set hits vs. weak tight nit

are u sure u minraised him?
and ur line looks fine
Old 12-12-2005, 01:51 AM

Not truly a minraise, but it's pretty close. A standard raise would be ~$99.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:17 AM

Nah just smooth call against a nit. He's going to put you on a pocket pair between 88-QQ when you smooth call. Let him do the betting when he shuts down then push. When you raise him on the flop and he knows that you know he is weak-tight then he correctly puts you on a set and folds. If he's played a fair number of hands then he's seen your play before and knows what it means. I mean really who in there right mind tries to blow someone off AA?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:59 AM

You played it fine. I also like a smoothcall on flop. Then Jam the turn big. You know he doesnt have straight potential and he thinks he knows the same about you. Maybe he puts you on steal turn raise, trying to knock him off his AA if scare card comes.

Basically, I'm saying you're going to get it all in no matter what, so slowing down is not bad either.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:54 AM

I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with your line here, but I kind a like checking behind on the turn and getting it in on the river. I think it would appear to villain that you were thrown off by his call of your raise, so he might bet out on the river and considering your stack size that would either put you in or make him fell committed to call your push.