Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 04:38 PM

Default River play, top two pair sees flush draw hit

A situation that comes up often enough to warrant discussing.

I'm in MP last night with AQxx, flop is AQx with two clubs. I bet the pot and only the button calls. Turn is a blank, I pot, he calls. River completes the flush.

Knowing the button fairly well, I'm fairly sure he just had two pair calling down, but he could have just backed into a flush. Since I'm out of position, what's my play here? If I bet, he's probably going to raise either way (as I probably would). So should I just check/call? That seems like a really expensive line, but the only other option is to check/fold, which seems too weak.

What's the general strategy here when you're out of position and the river is a scare card?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: River play, top two pair sees flush draw hit

I probably check call and this would be especially true if the button is the type to bluff at scare cards. I would also be very likely to call if the flop had a low draw and the low draw didn't get there with the flush card.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:57 PM

It depends what x is on the flop. If its AQ9 then he is much more likely to have 2-pair or straightwrap. If its AQ5, then its quite possible he has 23xx.

This matters because if you check the river, medium strength hands like two pair are more likely to just check behind because they can win in a showdown. While wrap or lowdraw hands are more likely to bluff because that’s the only way they can win.

So the more likely it is that he was drawing and the more aggro he is, the more likely I am to check-call. The worse he is or the more calling station, the more likely I am to bet and fold to a raise.

-g

I just read cookers answer and its pretty cool that I can say what he did but use more words.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:53 PM

Usually I wouldn't even give the villain room to make a bluff bet in the few scenarios that he would have to. Continue to bet out. More passive players will not attempt raising as a bluff because they know that it is very possible that YOU have a flush or even a HIGHER flush. Unless he makes the nut flush, at the low limits, he will just call... but never risk it all.