Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-22-2005, 06:06 PM

Default A question for the more experienced posters about win rates...

Hey guys,

I'm higher limit player, and I don't frequent much in the shorthanded forums as much as I should I suppose. I currently coaching a friend of mine. He wants to learn poker and is currently playing the shorthanded tables on party. Now my question is, as he continues to play, what winrate should he shoot for. Is it still the standard 2/100 rate. I watch him play, and I feel those games have to be beatable from 2 to 4 bb per 100 hands. I just want to give him a goal to shoot for. Also I would love to hear any discussion about this. I will chime in the best I can.

ps-I tried the search function and I got nothing. After seeing the discussion about 2/4 on internet gambling I figured posting here was a good idea.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: A question for the more experienced posters about win rates...

the thing you are forgetting is the rake in the lower games. It can often be 2-5x higher in terms of BB than higher level games.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:13 PM

3bb/100 is probebly possiball for 5/10 and lower, if i was new to the game 2bb/100 would be a nice goal. Personally i think it's possible with 3 at 10/20 as well, but that is nothing that i'm shure about
Old 12-22-2005, 06:14 PM

Winrate should not be a goal that he is shooting for. To a large extent winrate is out of his control. You cannot accurately know what your winrate is until playing several hundred thousand hands (and even then, it's still +- .5BB/100 or more). There is also no way that your style of play will be the same in the last few hands as they were when you started.

Really, you should just have him trying to make the best possible decision at all times, and anything over 0BB/100 would be good.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:19 PM

I think it probably makes sense for him to send you videos of his play. That way you can see if he is playing correctly and is under any apparent tilt influence after losing hands.

BB/100 is a very vague figure and I don't think that will give you much information unless your student is playing a hell of a lot of hands.

True
Old 12-22-2005, 06:55 PM

My last 20k hands as me sitting at .22BB/100.

My long term winrate sucks too, although I haven't played that many hands. All the more reason to read more and try harder [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 07:00 PM

Well, I do watch about an hour of his play a day. I do try and emphasize making the best decisions. I was just trying to get an idea of what top players are making at these levels.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:13 PM

3 should be doable at the lower limits in spite of rake. I'm pretty sure 3 can be had at 5/10 as well, although I'm not sure about higher.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:14 PM

i imagine 3 is doable, 2 is probably good to aim for.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:12 AM

i'm at 2.1 BB/100 as i'm on quite a downswing. this is after 7500+ hands. also the rake is harsh (.5/1) but i don't have much of a BR right now so i can't move up.

to give a comparison after i started i had a big upswing and was close to 10 BB/100. so it's kind of ridiculous.