Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-12-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Impossible hand.

I liked how you used LAGs position compared to you and faced the field with 2 cold on the flop. I also like your turn fold.
nh
Old 12-12-2005, 06:06 PM

Like I said, I didn't intend to CR the flop, but when the opportunity presented itself, I thought I'd take it.

I think if I bet out, they're all calling and then the LAG is raising. So, the pot gets even more bloated and everyone's still in.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:09 PM

why the hell are you c/r ing this flop???

fold turn. I don't know, unless he was a maniac, I think I'm giving up on this flop somewhere. Like bet/fold, or maybe c/c. I don't know i'm being lazy and don't want my head to hurt thinking about it...
Old 12-12-2005, 07:28 PM

I would probably lead bet the flop, but turn it into a bet/fold because with those two big overcards, you have 2 outs to another Q, while there are 6 outs to an Ace or King. Given the aggressiveness of the other players, sometimes you just have to fold an unfortunate strong hand on a killer flop and live for another hand.

Yes, a Jack came on the turn giving you 4 more outs, but you wouldn't have been thinking that before hand.

Your action preflop was good, but bet the flop and fold on a raise.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:36 PM

Ok, I'm going to post the results for this.

TAG folded an A, or at least told me he did, and I believe him. Went like this:

Him: Did you have an A on that huge hand?
Me: No, but I folded the winner.
Him: I folded an A on the flop.

CO had JTo, meaning that I only had 4 outs on the turn. A Q would have given him the nuts. Oh wait, I was AHEAD ON THE TURN.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the LAG had 7 high.

I will now gargle lighter fluid.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably lead bet the flop, but turn it into a bet/fold because with those two big overcards, you have 2 outs to another Q, while there are 6 outs to an Ace or King.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet/folding the flop is horrible. If you bet, you have to call when it gets raised.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:00 PM

Bet the flop, call 1 SB but not 2SB. Isn't that simpler and cheaper?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:21 PM

My initial reaction to the flop checkraise was that it's bad because you are way ahead or way behind. When your ladies are good (not often) you are very difficult to catch and otherwise you are drawing short to a monster. Either way protecting your hand isn't very important. Might as well minimize the -EV raises and play for overcalls in case you win.

My second reaction was to reconsider my fixed belief that we cannot force out a better hand and go on the win heads up versus bozo. Perhaps we can because this is a very scary situation.

My third reaction is that the second reaction has a flaw. Possibly we achieved the miracle and promoted our second best hand to a winner. So we won a giant pot--not! Our own hand proved to be too weak to stand the heat and we didn't make it to showdown despite turning a gutshot.

The flop checkraise to promote your hand would have made more sense if you were committed to seeing a showdown.

Call the flop. See how many opponents will drop out without being given an extra push. Hope for a good turn. Decide if it's worth continuing when the turn action gets to you.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/call or bet/call?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bet/folding the flop is horrible. If you bet, you have to call when it gets raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you have to call when it gets raised? Does your fold button stop working after you bet?