Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 09:08 PM

Default AJs preflop. cap or call?

game is 10/20 full handed with 46% seeing flop, a bunch of loose aggressives playing.

I'm UTG+1 and open raise with AJ spades. UTG+2 cold calls and MP 1 3 bets. MP2 calls 3 cold and the bb calls. Back to me. Cap or call? Or does it really matter?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: AJs preflop. cap or call?

cap.

-Barron
Old 07-11-2005, 12:09 AM

If i was you and i did not have a strong read on the raiser i would call because there are few hands, from a RR, that you can beat and many will have you dominated. The other callers out there probably wont fold to another raise due to the insane amount of "pot odds" they may thinky that they are getting, being UTG doesnt help either as it appears they dont respect position therefore by putting you first to act even if a flop comes:

A 10 2

And you come in for a raise, followed by the pre flop RRer Re Reasing you bet, when the action folds to you would you call in the hope of possibly being up against a draw pair that missed a set? If i dont have a read on the player i would play it safe and fold if not call till the river.

This is the main reason i would just call pre flop, you could be in big trouble if you were up agasint AQ, AK.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-11-2005, 09:08 AM

call... even in an aggressive game you probably aren't capping the best hand or even the best draw. If you don't see some jacks or some spades your hand is worthless.. and if you see an Ace you *should* be playing it slow.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:31 AM

Capping increases variance with no likely benefit, and yes, of course, you may be dominated. Don't do it unless you really have specific reads that give you an idea about the way you're going to make a move for the pot later if the board is a certain way.

Fundamentally I think capping is foolish in this scenario unless you've really thought your reasons through.

JimmyV
Old 07-11-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cap.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuk.

-Scott
Old 07-11-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't do it unless you really have specific reads that give you an idea about the way you're going to make a move for the pot later if the board is a certain way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is silly and irrelevant. There are like 57435 LAGs in this already huge pot, no one is taking it away. The cap would be a value bet plain and simple.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't do it unless you really have specific reads that give you an idea about the way you're going to make a move for the pot later if the board is a certain way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is silly and irrelevant. There are like 57435 LAGs in this already huge pot, no one is taking it away. The cap would be a value bet plain and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

he has only 4 opponents in the hand, and he is not ahead preflop. Capping here is not a +EV play and in fact, flies in the face of TOP concepts.

-Scott
Old 07-11-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and in fact, flies in the face of TOP concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think capping is usually right. But this statement is not true. It is very possible that a cap with AJ could cause AK or AQ to fold incorrectly later in the hand.

For example: you cap, the flop misses AK, your opponent folds, and AJs holds up unimproved.