Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 06-07-2005, 03:33 PM

Default frustration

for my summer job i have been playing poker, this summer i haev been struggling, i have been playing internet/live games. in the last few weeks, i have been takin bad beat after bad beat..
in hte last 2 days i dropped bout 6 buy ins (600$)..
losing KK to AK..
losing AA to KK,
top 2 to runner runner flush and straights, and
KK to Ax...
im starting to believe that i am perhaps unlucky. (i have lost 6 big hands were i was atleast 60% favorite.. i know u only have to win about 1/3 of them to be even but ack!!!!

... about 1/4 of my bank roll is gone and it seems like it wont end.. .

i should probably quit eh
Old 06-07-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: frustration

Keep at it. It happens. It sucks. Drop a limit.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:48 PM

look at it optimisticly, taking a lot of bad beats improves your odds of not getting bad beats later
Old 06-07-2005, 03:50 PM

Not sure exactly what mathematical formula you used to determine that...but...sounds good to me. I don't count good.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:54 PM

I hope you don't believe that, lol. Each hand is independent of eachother, just because you had 15 bad beats in a row it doesn't affect the odds of whether or not your next hand will result in a "bad beat". But if it makes him feel better, okay! At least if you are the victim of bad beats you know you aren't the sucker cause they're the ones giving bad beats not gettin' them. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 03:56 PM

You could be having a run of bad luck, but you could also be misplaying the hands. Whenever you start losing, it's important to make sure that you're not doing anything wrong.

The thing that concerns me is you give only your starting cards, as if having good starting cards entitles you to win. It's true that AA will beat KK more than half the time. But are you minimizing your losses by folding when the board does not help you but will help your likely opponents? And are you maximizing your gains when your hand does hold up?

I'm not accusing you of playing badly, just suggesting that you consider other explanations.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:09 PM

oh man. the ones ive' lost were.. pretty much all preflop
cept for the 2 pair... it was on the turn i pushed .. for the last few weeks ive been lookin at my play but i just havent won any hands.. like AA vs KK preflop.. full house kings ges me... KK vs Ax preflop usually.. its just i come to expect to loose when i have huge advantage ... when i trap them with best hand.. it always bites me in my ass
Old 06-07-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
look at it optimisticly, taking a lot of bad beats improves your odds of not getting bad beats later

[/ QUOTE ]

Just finished reading a phrase about bad beats not too long ago which your post reminded me of. Paraphrasing here it goes something like this; if you're getting bad beats you actually have the best of it. If you're handing them out then you should be concerned.

And actually, the only good bad beat is on Helmuth. Then are wicked funny.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:23 PM

Its all one long game and while there's such a thing as having been on an unlucky streak there is no such thing as being on an unlucky streak, bla bla bla.

As long as you feel jinkts then you are. You shouldn't but you do. Play less hours, play lower limits, until you don't feel bad. Or go camping with the neiphew.

- Louie
Old 06-11-2005, 12:05 AM

Hey when your getting bad beats and your feeling unlucky why dont you try improving your chances to win? I know that may sound stupid but just try to think of other plays with the same cards. For example i read how most of the beats you faced were pre flop. When u have an over pair to underpair 4:1 are your chances pre flop, why dont u try betting and playing the pair on the flop? If the villian still has KK when u have AA your chances go up to best at 11.5:1 and if you see a flush on the table u may consider throwing the hand away or something.

Keep playing everyone has about the same amount of luck in the long run.

I think John Vorhaus said something along the lines of

"Were born broke we die broke, what happens in between is fluctuations" or something like that.