Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Rephrasing the question

I may be wrong but im thinking about this:

"Let's say they're playing with $5 and $10 blinds. On the flop, the LHE player can only bet $10. The other player can bet or raise any amount he would be allowed to in pot limit"

If they are both equally good at playing their cards, lets say they both get the same amount of luck and cards after playing for x hours.

Player A = Limit player
Player B = Pot Limit player

Ignoring preflop action.

If the unraised pot is 20$ and player A can only bet a maximum of 10$ player B would be getting 3:1 odds for calling. This means he would be making profit more often than player B with this edge because:

If the unraised pot was 20$ and player B bet the maximum of 20$ then player A would be getting 2:1 odds.

I may be wrong but isnt this true?

If it is i believe that after playing for x amount of hours with the same amount of good and bad cards player B would earn more profit.

What do you think?
Old 06-09-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Re: A hypothetical situation

Pre-flop the PL player can raise to $50, the LH player $20. If the open raise is called the PL player is playing in position for a $115 pot, and out of position for a $55 pot.

After the flop the PL player can bet enough to protect his hand against draws; the LH player can not.

If both players are of equal skill level, they will make the same amount of mistakes. The LH player's decisions will be more difficult than the PL player's decisions.

Even if both players played "perfect poker" I don't see how the LH player can overcome the fact that he is playing out of position for twice the pot size of when he is playing in position.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: A hypothetical situation

I'll go with "enormous" as well. The limit player is going to have a tough time seeing a showdown. TPTK would no longer be a strong holding and he would have to play hands like 99-JJ only for set value. Postflop the limit player would have to wait til the turn to make any type of play, for equity reasons. Bottom line is his "optimal" style would have to be tight-passive, which has no chance in the long run.