Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 10:50 PM

Default AQ in SB v. LAG

MP2 has aggro stats and has been firing away. I have called him down a few times with sub-standard holdings when he hit on me.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.66 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.33 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero ???

Seems very close between calling down getting 9:2 effective odds and folding. But maybe the "rut" I am in lately is only a rut because I keep calling down in these spots thinking the odds justify it against "aggro" people.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: AQ in SB v. LAG

I think its a pretty clear fold.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:02 PM

i think you played the hand fine joey. the only thing is if he's really nutso enough to bet the turn and river and have AQ still be good you should check the turn and call it down.

personally, id bet/fold the turn unless the guy is really just that nuts. i didn't see the other stuff he did so i can't come to that conclusion.

its important to realize that in poker the fewer tough decisions you have to make, the clearer the answers become. therefore, thinking of the repercussions of an action before executing that action is extremely important. if you are about to do something and think it may put you in a place you dont know how to react, think through what the different opponent responses could be and what they mean before you act. 30 seconds should be enough time to think about the possibilities.

if this guy is agro and you know it, you have to be ablel to expect a raise on a big street. how agro he is determines your reaction to his reaction to your action.(agro=nutso b/c even agro players can have ANY kind of hand on that board and still beat AQ, plus even in the off chance you are ahead, he can still very likely suck out.)

sorry to hear you are in a rut joe but keep at it and i'll try to respond as best i can to these hands.

Barron
Old 12-03-2005, 11:07 PM

When you bet the turn and got raised, did you say anything to your computer screen?
Old 12-04-2005, 01:25 AM

I have the same paranoia as you sometimes too, but I think you got to fold this, even LAGs have hands much of the time and this board sucks for your hand. I'd play it the same though, bet/folding the turn
Old 12-04-2005, 10:56 PM

hope im not being a nuisance by bumping a thread by agreeing with everyone in saying that its a clear fold.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hope im not being a nuisance by bumping a thread by agreeing with everyone in saying that its a clear fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
not at all. the more voices the better even when they are just forming a consensus. i actually decided not to call down with ace-high for a change here. villain chose to show QTo. sweet.