Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Libs, Dems: What should we do about Miers?

It's been fun watching the GOP get torn in half over the Miers nomination, but it's hard to tell what Democrats should be doing right now.

Miers is basically an unknown quantity. Bush says he trusts her, and she's apparently an evangelical Christian. On the other hand, she's supported (limited) equal rights for gays, and is not such a total ideologue that she wouldn't donate to Democrats to help her law firm's business. So it seems like she could be anything from a Souter to a Thomas.

I understand why right-wingers don't like her. They want another Scalia, someone who is unabashedly conservative, and who will make smart arguments to move the court to the right. They probably also want to have a very contentious confirmation hearing. In their wet dreams, the Democrats filibuster and lose when a huge tide of public opinion supports the ultraconservative nominee. Miers, in contrast, will at best be a consistent conservative vote, and maybe not even that. They've waited decades to get the chance to remake the court and overturn Roe v Wade, and they want a sure thing, not a "trust me" from Bush.

So should Democrats support Miers? She's obviously not who we would pick. It would generally be better for the country to have someone smarter on the Supreme Court. Bush might be right when he says he knows her views, and Democrats might get sucked into confirming another Thomas.

Ultimately, though, I think she's the least bad option. If she's defeated, Bush will probably nominate some fire-breathing conservative instead. The Dems would filibuster, but probably lose as the GOP peeled away a few moderates (Nelson, Lieberman, etc), and we'd have someone even worse on the court. Still, that's far from a sure thing--given Bush's approval ratings, we might win the filibuster fight and ultimately end up with a true moderate.

Other opinions?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Libs, Dems: What should we do about Miers?

The Dems should start defending the process and say that we should wait to we get to the Committee before we make judgements about her. Being that Miers is the best the Dems could hope for - old, moderate/liberal on some issues. They should start saying the only reason the right wing is upset is because she isnt an idealouge. They need to make that point strongly. This way if she does resign and the President picks a hard line known conservative they can say he is pandering to the right. Then they could be better positions to defeat the nomination. The Dems should not go along with the crony, unqualified talking points. And if Miers does get on the court and ends up being a right winger her rulings will be deemed simple because the republicans have told the country she is not smart. She is truly the best candidate the Dems could of realistically hoped for. That's why Reid suggested her.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:19 PM

There is little to no upside in voting against her. There is some potential upside to voting for her. 'nuff said.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:30 PM

I didn't read your post, but I say support her. As more information comes out, the happier I get.

I read a blurb about her attacking Republicans for their constant villifying of lawyers today.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:15 PM

Democrats should do all they can to confirm Miers. She may overturn Roe v. Wade, and she may not, but she will certainly further the agenda of expanded federal powers.

Democrats: Miers is the best thing to have happened to you since 2000.

natedogg
Old 10-14-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Democrats should do all they can to confirm Miers. She may overturn Roe v. Wade

[/ QUOTE ]I sure hope she does. It would be the greatest thing to happen to Democrats this century. Unfortunately, I think Bush saw the implications I'm seeing, and nominated someone who would uphold Roe V Wade.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:42 PM

GWB is close personal friends with this woman, but he doesn't know her views on abortion?

I think GWB knows exactly what Miers will do when she's on the bench, and I think he likes it - why more of his Republicans haven't gotten on the bandwagon yet is beyond me, but they will - they'll get their [censored] together -

stupid nomination anyways - I'm as qualified as she is - appoint me...jesus.

RB
Old 10-14-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm as qualified as she is -

[/ QUOTE ]

Either you are the head of the bar assn for some major state or you're an idiot for that comment. I'll guess the latter.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:51 AM

I say we should keep her. Even if she does veer right, she doesn't appear to be the brilliant and persuasive legal mind that could sway votes. Maybe after she's out of the White House for a couple months, she'll get a crush on Stevens instead of Bush.

At Christmas, she could start sending him cards that say, "You are the best supreme court justice ever! xxooxxoo" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if she does veer right, she's sixty friggin years old.

[/ QUOTE ]fyp