Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Is my friend a douchebag?

Your friend is a douche bag for requesting money, I can't imagine ever doing it. But if he was really you're friend why wouldn't you offer to help him out? Did you call him when you got to the airport or when you landed to check on his car, if he got home etc?

When I was in college my roomate and I were driving back from a concert. He got pulled over for speeding, and the cop found my weed and bowl in the glove compartnment. The cop asked what of it was mine and I said pretty much all of it. For some reason (probably because it was in my hometown and he was from out of state and looks black (actually Maltese but very dark skinned)) the cop did nothing to me and my friend ended up with about $2000 in fines.

Even though I had no real income at the time, I offered to help out as best I could for a while. Yes, it was my weed, but his fault for going 45 in a 25 right by the donut shop (I wish I was joking). And also his fault for allowing the cop to search his car.

I know my story isn't identical, but the moral is, I had no obligation to pay for anything, but I felt bad and this was a good friend of mine, so I offered to help out. Instead of blaming each other, we just took care of the situation, got past it and are still close friends today. Like others have mentioned, from your story I'm not sure how good of friends you two really are.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:01 PM

Uh, are you serious? You bring an illegal substance in someone elses car, and you try to put any blame on him?
Its a completely different situation, if i were your friend, you would be paying me the whole 2000$ for the fines. The guy who got in the accident, its the kid that is driving's fault.

And before you bring xenophobic cops into it with this:
The cop asked what of it was mine and I said pretty much all of it. For some reason (probably because it was in my hometown and he was from out of state and looks black (actually Maltese but very dark skinned)) the cop did nothing to me and my friend ended up with about $2000 in fines.

By law, it is considered his substance, because it is in his car, in his glove box, no matter what you say.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:04 PM

You don't need friends like this. It's unfortunate that you feel attached to him due to all your history together, but I think you should really end the friendship. Think of it this way: He has valued your friendship at $250...in that if you don't give in to his blackmail, he'll stop being friends with you. That's not a real friend.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:43 PM

Your friend is a douchebag.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I can't stand people who must ALWAYS have music playing in the car, even with at least one passenger that's able to carry on a conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I can't stand people who must ALWAYS be having a conversation in the car, especially when its just patter so there aren't gaps with only the radio playing.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I can't stand people who must ALWAYS have music playing in the car, even with at least one passenger that's able to carry on a conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I can't stand people who must ALWAYS be having a conversation in the car, especially when its just patter so there aren't gaps with only the radio playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH!
Old 09-25-2005, 01:23 PM

As someone already noted, this is an entirely different situation. If you didn't offer to help with the fines on that one then you would be the douchebag. In the OPs case, he is under no obligation whatsoever to pay his "friend" anything.

Think of it this way: What if he got into an accident right after dropping you off? The accident still occurred when he was driving because of you, but now you weren't in the car. Would you feel obligated to pay then? Of course not, so don't feel obligated just because you were in the car and he can't drive and change a cd at the same time.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:24 PM

What he was doing you was not a FAVOR it was a service which you would repay in the near future. Since it was his OWN fault you got into an accident you owe him nothing -_-
Old 09-25-2005, 01:44 PM

His request is unreasonable. Yes he is being an ass.

My roommate got a speeding ticket while driving me home from the airport. I felt bad but I offered nothing and he asked for nothing. Then a couple months later, he got another speeding ticket while driving us home from AC. He still didn't ask for anything, but the next day I bought him dinner.

Although really it was one of those situations like from Family Guy... "Peter, if I take you to the hospital, you just won't learn anything from this." He really does drive like a hyperactive monkey on crack.

Anyways, yes, your friend is incorrect here. That said, I'd hate to end a friendship over one incident. I'd say give him the money consider backing off on your friendship with him for a bit while things cool off. Then see if he's back to normal a little later.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:56 PM

everyone saying pay him the $250 AND end the relationship are idiots. If you're gonna end the relationship, keep the $250.