Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Finish Distribution starting to bug me, whats your opinion on it?

Lately my 1st place distro has been creeping downwards and 4th place creeping upwards, today my 4th place finishes crossed over my 1st places and i decided that something must have changed in the way i was playing at some arbitrary point in the SnG to cause this to happen, is it possible that the best explanation is overaggression in 4th and 5th place

Old 06-09-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Finish Distribution starting to bug me, whats your opinion on it?

Sounds logical. Higher aggression around the bubble will get you both more first places and more 4th places.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:01 AM

I believe I've lost a few sngs from being too aggressive. When on the bubble I don't wait for perfect cards just cards I have a fighting chance with. Ax, Q9+, Kx, J8+, low pp+. All of this is completely dependant though on my understanding and feel of the table and/or stack sizes. If I feel the table is good for it I'll get aggressive with much less in the right position. The times when I was "too aggressive" and lost I realized looking back that I didn't have a strong enough read of the players. often many were big risk takers willing to call a 3/4xBB bet or all in.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe I've lost a few sngs from being too aggressive. When on the bubble I don't wait for perfect cards just cards I have a fighting chance with. Ax, Q9+, Kx, J8+, low pp+. All of this is completely dependant though on my understanding and feel of the table and/or stack sizes. If I feel the table is good for it I'll get aggressive with much less in the right position. The times when I was "too aggressive" and lost I realized looking back that I didn't have a strong enough read of the players. often many were big risk takers willing to call a 3/4xBB bet or all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

be careful with your wording here... if you're playing in the optimal ROI way you SHOULD lose more SNGs due to aggression. you'll also win more; that's the point

but i THINK i know what you mean - that there's tables where the aggression hurts more than it helps. correct?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

be careful with your wording here... if you're playing in the optimal ROI way you SHOULD lose more SNGs due to aggression. you'll also win more; that's the point

but i THINK i know what you mean - that there's tables where the aggression hurts more than it helps. correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly. And the kinds of tables I'm referring to either I wasn't paying enough attention earlier on or it was just a hard table to get a read on and I wasn't paying attention to THAT. It should also be noted that I play the 11's at party. Being more aggressive on the bubble, at least over the last 150 or so games has won me waaay more games than before I found "bubble aggression". That might be different for the higher buy-in games.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:34 AM

Am I only person who has ridiculous number of 1st place finishes compared to 2nd+3rd (however probably less itm than a lot of people)

In case anyone cares, after 1770 tourneys its

1st - 14.63
2nd - 11.44
3rd - 11.67
4th - 12.83
5th - 15.74
6th - 13.07
7th - 9.52
8th - 6.45
9th - 3.14
10th - 1.51

Even though we are both winning, it seems likely that me and fatalerror are doing some things completely differently
Old 06-09-2005, 07:45 AM

thats the thing, i used to be closer to 15/13/13 at one point now 3rd and 4th are crossing over 1st! some of it is running bad ITM lately but the rest i can't logically figure out, i think i used to make more raise and fold if reraised type blind steals when i was finishing this way and have moved more to straight all in blind steals, maybe i need to start getting tricky again
Old 06-09-2005, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I only person who has ridiculous number of 1st place finishes compared to 2nd+3rd (however probably less itm than a lot of people)

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, I go 15.2/9.2/12.0

1st place is by far my most common result. Next up is 4th with 13.7% But I play much easier games than you
Old 06-09-2005, 12:37 PM

How many of those are $215s?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 PM

Not many.