Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 08:31 PM

Default The Swedish Connection?

Weird stuff today, thought I was playing poker in a Steven King story. I logged onto MultiPoker Sunday afternoon and got a pop-up that the daily 10+1 Multitable was starting in 15 mintues. I thought I'd give it a shot, and registered. It started with 5 full tables, 50 players. Play was about as expected, but in retrospect, it was weird that I was on several tables during the MTT, and there was zero chat at any of them.

About half way through I happened to pass my cursor over the name of the player next to me, and the location was unknown and foreign sounding. I played tight, didn't hit much, and it was down to 2 tables of 8 each when I busted out. Just before that, waiting for a hand to be dealt, I had idly checked the locations of the others at my table. They all sounded Scandinavian to my uneducated ear.

I was doing something else at the same time, and stayed at the table for a few minutes after I busted out. There had been zero chat until this time, but as soon as I busted out, they all started chatting in what appeared to me to be Swedish. Even to this unilingual American, it was apparent that the chat was along the lines of, "Hi, Charlie, how you doing." and "Doing good, Pete, how's the wife." (Apparently, "lol" is the same in Swedish, or whatever.)

So I went to the other table that was still going, and the 7 players still there were also chatting in Swedish. Good thing i'm not paranoid. Or am I [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: The Swedish Connection?

I'm from sweden and I can tell you that Multipoker has been doing a lot of advertising on swedish television during the last year, so I suspect that the number of swedes is higher on Multi than on other Party skins.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm from sweden and I can tell you that Multipoker has been doing a lot of advertising on swedish television during the last year, so I suspect that the number of swedes is higher on Multi than on other Party skins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured it was something like that. Plus, the tournament started at 3PM Eastern, which would be what, late evening in Sweden? Time for an MTT before bed.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured it was something like that. Plus, the tournament started at 3PM Eastern, which would be what, late evening in Sweden? Time for an MTT before bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's 9PM and likely around peak hours here.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:30 AM

And the fact that MP is s swedish run skin. They run daily adds on many of the commercial channels... and done so the last couple of years...
Old 04-18-2005, 07:37 AM

I'm swedish and I hate when other swedes start talking swedish to me at the tables. Even if it never is anything but trivial small talk it looks bad to others who can't understand it.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm swedish and I hate when other swedes start talking swedish to me at the tables. Even if it never is anything but trivial small talk it looks bad to others who can't understand it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'm afraid those who don't understand might suspect collusion.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'm afraid those who don't understand might suspect collusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did wait until it was obvious that everyone still playing was Swedish. I just happened to be a little slow in leaving the table. It was kind of like being a man in a room full of women, and they think you left but you can still hear them.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:10 PM

just tell them 'english only please' and the problem goes away
Old 04-18-2005, 01:14 PM

lol....

My woman is from sweden and her cousin just called me and warned me that a ton of people in Sweden are colluding on the internet. He said they all use some VOIP service.