Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 03:02 AM

Default Re: Those of you who have this as a part time job and are also a stude

Late post, but here it goes.

I'm a 3rd year engineering student. Getting by with a B avg. I had this problem in first year. I pounded .5/1 tables for hours and hours and hardly went to school. I still scraped by. Like you, I did the binging thing. Studying solid for a few days, and then back to poker.

I found this to be a huge leak in my game. I eventually understood the game in more subtle depths. I have a friend who plays "pro" live 10.20. Like negrenu, he tries to meet his hours each week. So, just like a part time job, I try to meet my expected PART TIME hours each week.

If you play well, just put in the hours. Probably mentioned in a bunch of posts, its all about putting in the hours.

I could write for hours on this subject, its huge to me. But in closing, its all about prioritizing. Don't be ashamed to schedule poker hours each week, it may end up helping your studies as well when your time is well organized.

BTW, are you learning Java?

Flint
Old 01-16-2005, 03:05 AM

Another thing that helps me to have the extra time to do both is the fact that I only sleep about 6 hours a night, less when I have a lot of studying to do. Probably not the healthiest habit in the world but it works.

When it comes down to it, I just have to make myself study and not think about playing poker. If I have a hard time doing so, I may take a break and play in a quick Sit and Go or read a little 2+2 and then go back and study. It's hard at times but it can be done. In the end, if something has to go, it will be poker though.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Those of you who have this as a part time job and are also a student

I'd say the decision on whether or not to adhere to a strict poker/study schedule depends largely on the type of studying you are doing (sorry, I am not largely familiar with studying for the certifications you mentioned)

If your study schedule can be quite flexible (as is the case with self-study for some certifications), then your poker schedule can afford to be rigid with defined times. However, if you are like me, and your schoolwork/studying takes a very irregular pattern (some weeks I will have to spend almost all of my waking time finishing assignments/studying for midterms, while others (like the current one), I have nothing due at all), then I don't think it makes sense to set a rigid amount of time to play poker. This week, I have probably played a good 20-25 hours, while there are some weeks where I will be lucky to get in 3-4 hours.

Ultimately, I think it's more important to know how much you should be studying/playing for any given month/week/day, and to try to balance these two facets of your life accordingly, rather than forcing yourself to play 1.84 hours a day or something like that.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:52 AM

Yeah i feel ya pshreck. I have never been one for studying much but I went from about 5-10 hours to about 2-3. Suffice to say, I haven't quite figured out this "simple" problem yet.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:28 AM

I just did this for myself:

http://img159.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...chedule0sc.jpg

Set up a schedule and see what you can do. I'm taking 17 credits in an electrical engineering program and I can still average 20 hrs a week playing poker. This leaves you enough free time to study and do homework and hit a 3.8+ GPA.

If grades aren't a concern, anyone should be able to work 40 hrs a week and still get by with a 2.5 or better. If you aren't majoring in engineering/physics/chem/math you should do even better.

If you have lots of projects, a schedule may not work so well. This semester I don't have any programming/hardware classes so I don't have the problem of projects stacking up.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Those of you who have this as a part time job and are also a student

[ QUOTE ]

I find myself either totally caught up in studies not wanting to play poker or totally caught up in poker not wanting to study.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do what you know you have to do. During my first year of college, I worked around 40 hours a week plus playing blackjack and was commuting about 90 minutes a day to school. That didn't work. Cut my hours back to around 30 a week and got to study at least a bit at work, and things worked out ok. David Ross has said how he tends to play his "B" game, so I'm sure a WSOP winner could do the same.

I honestly don't know how I could get much of anything accomplished if I had a daughter, though. I'm a home-body, so if I liked going to bars and clubs I really don't know where I'd find the time to accomplish much of anything. I have a hard enough time catching up on Smallville episodes while playing poker.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:32 PM

Flint, Java isn't in my plans ATM but things can change. I want to be more into the backend of setting up networks, maintaining them, and the security of them. The designing of websites etc is rather boring to me as I did this for years not long ago and it was extremely boring work to me. Things now are MUCH different than they were in 96-98 though and the programming languages for even HTML are much more diverse. Let alone all the sub languages and scripting that goes behind major corporations websites nowadays.

I plan on trying to play poker every night at least a couple hours after 7 PM EST M-F, this way I am at least taking some of a break from studying every day and I am only playing poker at the most profitable times anyways. I have noticed playing during the day is profitable but not NEARLY as profitable as it is starting about 6 PM EST - it's like the maniacs and LAGS come popping in by the hundreds.

Hopefully I can stick to this as it will keep some variety and teach me dicsipline by making myself 'mix it up' every day M-F as if it is a "Real Job"
Old 01-16-2005, 02:33 PM

I am currently a sophomore majoring in engineering at Central Florida and I play poker to pay for living expenses. For me, I usually think of school work as the priority. I lay out a schedule for the week as to how I am going to complete what I need to do for my classes. Once my assigned work for the day is done, I can then go on to poker. I try to log 20 hours of poker per week (and am able to 90% of the time), but if I'm short it is usually due to a hard week in class.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, are you learning Java?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been out of CS for a couple years now, but am I nieve by thinking someone who's teaching theirself the A+, NET +, MCSE, and CCNA then they probably know C?

Java's pretty damn easy once you know C. All you got to do is learn the graphics package in Java which I thought was easy when I took those courses.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:59 PM

Iggy, it's not about whether it is easy or not. I "want to" (doesn't mean I will this isn't a perfect world) end up with a job where I am creating and maintaining networks and their infrastructures. It would be a perfect world if I never have to touch another file short of maintaining databases, installing OS's, etc..

Again, this doesn't mean I will get what I want but this is the career I would like to end up with. You are most likely correct and I will have to branch off and learn other sectors of the industry such as C+/Perl/PHP/Java etc.. to get the experience I need to have in order to get the job I want.

You can't exactly get your certifications and hop into a job with Clifton Gunderson maintaining their networks EVEN WITH a degree in computer science AND all of the before mentioned Cert's - you have to have experience which means I will probably have to do things I don't want to in order to get the job I want. At this point of time I want to learn the things I know I will need for my job (the one I want not the one I will get) and if once I have all those cert's I see most job's in the area that are entry levels are offering perks for people who know a certain aspect of the industry I will work on that and plunge my way in [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]