Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Queens in a tough spot

400nl 6 max at party. Im playing my normal tag game preflop, lag game postflop. People just think im a tard. I pick up QQ in late position and make it 15. Button calls, sb calls.

Flop comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I have the Q of spades. I bet 40 into 50 pot. Button calls, other guy folds.

Turn is a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Im not sure the correct line, lets hear some thoughts
Old 12-20-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Queens in a tough spot

stack sizes and reads would help
Old 12-20-2005, 02:52 PM

Well a check is obviously going to be read by any decent player as the waving of the white flag. If you check and call they will put you on the A of spades and bet again if no spade hits, so that option seems to suck.

I usually just check and see what they do. I think a large bet is usually indicitave of a pretty weak hand in a spot like this, so if you check and it gets potted I think its not a bad time for a huge raise by you. If, however, your opponent bets 2/3 of pot I would generally fold. Any bet smaller than that I would have no idea what to do.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:59 PM

You're right, tough spot. Very read dependent.Even though TAG preflop you could still bring this in and bet the flop with a wide range like AKs, AQs, 76s, or overpair. Although normally it takes a better hand to call a raise than make one I think the button can call preflop with sc or gaps like KJs, or an overpair like TT or JJ. His call of the flop bet indicates he's got a piece of the flop, or is willing to represent that he does. I check to the button here and see what happens. If he checks behind we play poker at the river. I check again and call a reasonable. If button bets the turn I think you either have to raise or fold.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:02 PM

My bad, stack sizes are about 400 each at start of hand. Read is that he would call in that spot with any piece of the flop, PP, or gutshot draw. Thats all I got.