Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-07-2005, 10:30 AM

Default When the Blinds get sooooo high

I was involved in a hand last night at the FullContactPoker Event in Toronto... what was at stake was a seat at the final table with Daniel Negreanu.

First let me list the number of times I had this guy all in and with what... my cards are on the right

28K total chips in play
K3 Vs 96s I am a monster chip stack and it only costs me 1000 more to put him all in
J3 Vs J2s I flop 2 pair and he river pairs the board -- CHOP
K2 Vs QJs I push him in preflop -- catches set
AA Vs 98s... I flop 2 pair to get counterfieted
BIG HAND
55 vs QQ he catches one of 4 outs (2 8's or 2 5's)on river and now becomes monster chip leader... I have 6K left.

He pushes from the small blind with 75s, I instaCALL with A8s... and double through...

I get him to lay down the next hand and have 15k of 28k of chips

Blinds are 4000-2000 w/ 500 ante (25% of chips in play) and last hand before they go up to 3000-6000 w/1000 ante (which is almost 50% of chips)

This is the hand, I look down and then decide to push... I don't know what I have... someone in the crowd says he pushed in the dark, and he calls in the dark....

I figured at worst I am a 3:1 dog, but most likely at worst I am a 3:2 dog... but could be ahead... is this really the wrong play, when we add the chance that he might fold and the I have 2 hands left...
Old 12-07-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: When the Blinds get sooooo high

Your post is confusing

[ QUOTE ]
I was involved in a hand last night at the FullContactPoker Event in Toronto... what was at stake was a seat at the final table with Daniel Negreanu.

First let me list the number of times I had this guy all in and with what... my cards are on the right

28K total chips in play
K3 Vs 96s I am a monster chip stack and it only costs me 1000 more to put him all in

I'm assuming you have K3 since you listed it first, but then it sounds like you are trying to justify pushing with 96s.

Blinds, stack sizes?

J3 Vs J2s I flop 2 pair and he river pairs the board -- CHOP

Again...are you J3 or J2, but it doesn't really matter

K2 Vs QJs I push him in preflop -- catches trips

Still don't know

AA Vs 98s... I flop 2 pair to get counterfieted

Ok, I see you must be the 2nd hand listed.

BIG HAND
55 vs QQ he catches one of 4 outs (2 8's or 2 5's)on river and now becomes monster chip leader... I have 6K left.

I don't understand how 8's are outs, but I doesn't matter other than you were all-in preflop and lost

He pushes from the small blind with 75s, I instaCALL with A8s... and double through...

I get him to lay down the next hand and have 15k of 28k of chips

Blinds are 4000-2000 w/ 500 ante (25% of chips in play) and last hand before they go up to 3000-6000 w/1000 ante (which is almost 50% of chips)

This is the hand, I look down and then decide to push... I don't know what I have... someone in the crowd says he pushed in the dark, and he calls in the dark....

You pushed in the dark? I would probably look at my cards... would help your fold equity.

I figured at worst I am a 3:1 dog, but most likely at worst I am a 3:2 dog... but could be ahead... is this really the wrong play, when we add the chance that he might fold and the I have 2 hands left...

[b]I would look at my cards, pretend to think how good they are for 4 seconds, and the go all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-07-2005, 10:44 AM

This is easily a push any two situation. The logic behind this is that you're better off completing the SB and then calling a push with garbage than you are folding it. Since this is true, and pushing is like complete/calling but with some fold equity, you should push. Since it'd be wonderful if SB were to fold, you should do your best to make it look like you've done this with good cards and would've folded garbage, but odds are SB's going to be smart enough to call any two (very technically, he should fold 23o here, but that's just because it's almost exactly 1% shy of getting correct odds).
Old 12-07-2005, 12:11 PM

as soon as the idiot in the crowd said it... I was like oh crap he is going to gamble... the only other thing looming over me that I was a much better player.. but again at those stakes I think it is Bingo...