Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-02-2005, 06:08 AM

Default You think this is a leak?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero (t1440)
SB (t3195)
BB (t2320)
UTG (t1045)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Re: You think this is a leak?

That's an ugly situation, it depends on the calling standards of the blinds. Against tight players it's a leak, against loose ones it's not.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:10 AM

Not at all, maaaaybe push if they have been giving the shortstack free walks and have tight calling standards, but it looks good to me.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:13 AM

I'd push this. If BB was SB and SB was BB I would fold.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:44 AM

Why must it be taken as a given that this is a push/fold situation? With T9s, I see merit in paying the t300 and seeing a flop.

You have 400 chips more than shorty/UTG (an important "block"), and he pays blinds ahead of you. If you call with T9s, i suppose you will then have to fold to a push from either blind (steal or legit), but that is a minority of times. So see a flop and use your superior poker skills Scuba. SB can do whatever he wants, complete or not, suprisingly often he does fold, maybe bottom 40% of hands(!). So if the BB does check and we see a 2/3 handed flop, you can pick your spots to make your bet or not,and with t1000 behind, THEN it must be push. But limping, you arent commiting to the pot, and you will flop the best hand 1 time in, uh, 3(?). And you make use of being the button, i'm sure you can take away a good chunk of pots when he flops bottom pair, or if you both miss. If he stop-and-goes you, well, only call if you are pretty damn sure you have him beat. Otherwise, fold.

Just a suggestion, an alternative. If limited to push/fold, yeah push seems OK, 450 chips helps...but i'd wait for a better spot. Remember shorty pays blidns next hand, not you. The stacks/positions, for me, dont make having t1900 than much better than your current t1400, for $equity in the tournament. I'd toss this and be thrilled if SB decides to push at BB...and even more if he gets called [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That would jump your equity even more than having the t450 blinds.

BL'
Old 12-02-2005, 06:46 AM

I only read the first line of your post. But limping is pretty horrible imo. The blinds push way to often.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:48 AM

Most times I would push this unless the table was very aggressive. But I think folding is OK with the short stack being in the BB the next hand.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I only read the first line of your post. But limping is pretty horrible imo. The blinds push way to often.

[/ QUOTE ]

They certainly do at $55/$109 but I'm not sure about the $22s. I suppose it has merit but seems a bit fancy to me.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:01 AM

I push in this situation. I'm not scared of being called and busting out.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:04 AM

what are you scared of? they are not priced in to call you and neither stack is huge enough to call with a mediocre hand. You win the blinds the majority of the times. And when you are called you still have a good chance to win the hand... what buy-in?