Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 05-18-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Suffering a 140BB downswing. Need help

Over the last 750 hands I have lost 140BB at 0.5/1. I just can't win a hand to save my life at the moment. My W$SD is 35. All my big hands are losing. I haven't made a set from a pocket pair from 37. I have lost to runner runner one card straights/flushes/trips/full houses more times than I can count.

I know it is a small sample size but I just can't see why I am losing at such a rate. Previous to this I was 5BB/100 over 5500. Again it is a small sample size, but is it possible this is just variance? It is only over the last 3 days so I haven't changed the way I play at all.

Here are a few hands from a session I had this morning where I dropped 25BB in 42 hands.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
CO has 2h 8h (two pair, eights and twos).
Hero has Jd Ah (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: CO wins 15.75 BB. </font>

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, UTG calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Hero has Qs Qd (two pair, queens and sevens).
CO has Ad 7c (three of a kind, sevens).
Outcome: CO wins 12.25 BB. </font>

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

BB has Qd 8d (two pair, queens and eights).
Hero has Qc Ks (one pair, queens).
Outcome: BB wins 7.50 BB. </font>

In the first 2 hands the 2 other players were 98/0 and 75/0 respectively. Both had been showing down crap. These hands are typical of the beats I have been on the end of.

Just looking for some advice really cos I am nearing the stage where I am thinking why bother raising AK, KQs etc because I know it is only going to miss. If anyone wants more stats let me know.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Suffering a 140BB downswing. Need help

You've just suffered a few suckouts and had some hands cracked. Take a week off and come back refreshed. It happens to everyone. I have a good friend who lost $5500 at 15/30 last week in two sittings, and he's a damn fine player.

Incedently, Hand 3 - bet the river.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:12 AM

The turn raise in Hand 1 is debateable, depending on reads, but there probably isn't any read that would make it horrible. Other 2 hands seem fine/standard.

I've played way too much .5/1 (like 30k hands), and I've suffered 2 100+ BB downswings in that time. It turned out that there wasn't that much wrong with my game, but this time is _extremely valuable_ for looking at your game. Go through all the hands that you can find. Use this time, because you'll soon be winning again and (if you're like me) you'll be too complacent/happy with your WR to motivate yourself. Nothing motivates you to find leaks like a downswing.

Oh, and hang in there, it's happened to all of us, etc. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2005, 08:12 AM

This is more than likely just variance. 140 BB (and larger) downswings happen. Try to keep your head and play your best game. When it turns around you're going to be a beast again. During downswings I like to tell myself that when it's over "these donks are gonna pay."
Old 05-18-2005, 08:13 AM

I would bet and fold to a raise in the last hand. Bad players will call with worse hands.

The rest of the hands look fine. If you were expecting to win everytime you play well, or that if you play well you won't loose a lot of money, then you need a better understanding of fundamental poker concepts. Namely, that poker is a gambling game where you try to maximize your Expected Value.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:17 AM

Also, one other thing.
The great thing about poker is that the poor players sometimes win. This is great for two reasons;
1. It gives them hope and keeps them in the game as they still have some bankroll,
2. They believe that the won because they are good players so they keep playing the same.

So sometimes they're going to win. It's called variance but in the end even this works in your favour.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, one other thing.
The great thing about poker is that the poor players sometimes win. This is great for two reasons;
1. It gives them hope and keeps them in the game as they still have some bankroll,
2. They believe that the won because they are good players so they keep playing the same.

So sometimes they're going to win. It's called variance but in the end even this works in your favour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. If the donks never won, they wouldn't be around for long, and it would be harder for people like us to make money. Go for a walk after a losing session and after half an hour you'll feel (at least marginally) better.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:14 AM

Just call the turn bet in hand 1; 78 is a very likely possibility. Bet the river and fold to a raise in hand 3.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the donks never won, they wouldn't be around for long, and it would be harder for people like us to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, donks THINK they're winners when they suckout. Then when they eventually lose it all, they blame it on bad luck, not bad playing. It's the greatest illusion ever, and it totally works to our advantage.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't see why I am losing at such a rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's variance. Let me know when you hit 410 BB.

Krishan