Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-20-2005, 10:43 AM

Default My poker (loser) experience

I started off at the beginning of this year. I learned the game from a friend of mine and deposited a couple of hundred bucks into my PP account. I lost a lot initially. I worked hard at improving my game and slowly but surely managed to recover my losses and made a lot of money playing high stakes NL on PP. I am a poster on the MHNL forums.

I am 28 and a very patient person by nature. I come from a very traditional and religious Indian family. I am not the religious type and dont believe in god. My parents were here in the US to visit me over the summer. I always knew that I cannot convince my parents about my poker habits. I never used to play much. I used to put in 15 hrs per week and mostly played my A-game. I had a fight with my parents about god sometime in September. That one night I lost 30k which was about half my bankroll. I just tilted so bad that It was a donation spree. Looking back, this was the start of a disaster for me. I managed to recover that lost money within a week. But one thing used to bother me. How I do tell my parents about my poker lifestyle? Its not so easy when you come from a tradiotional and religious Indian family. I started playing confused. I should have taken a break.

Then, I started playing limit poker(100/200 and 50/100). I had no knowledge of limit poker. Please dont ask me why I started playing limit. I lost tons of money playing limit. I had no idea of what I was getting into. I kept losing money at the rate of knots and it did not bother me. I was having 'fun' and then a certain pattern emerged. I used to lose some, win some and at the end of the week, I would be up or down by small amount. I couldnt get over the limit addiction.

And then started a bad downswing which was accentuated by my tiltiness. I lost everything that I had made playing poker and some more. I am almost broke now. In four months from sep-dec, I have had badass swings at the party NL2k and the High stakes limit tables at party. These swings were mostly tilt induced. I should have exhibited better judgement and stopped playing when I knew I was not playing my A-game.

I just woke up from another bad night(and maybe my last) at the party tables. I should have probably dropped down a few stakes. But the gambler in me wanted to make up that lost money NOW. I kind of messed up my career trying to become good at poker. So I am all the more confused as to what I should be doing. I know I can make money at poker but I need a lot of discipline. How do I tell my parents about my poker habit? This one thing could mean a lot to me. Any Indian dudes out there who want to chime in?

I welcome all advice and suggestions to get me out of this hole I have dug for myself. How many of you MHNL players have come close to losing your entire BR and have had to start from scratch again? All advice is greatly appreciated. I need help!
Old 12-20-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: My poker (loser) experience

Gamblers Anonymous. Seriously.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:56 AM

Give up poker, get a job and start playing again in a month or so.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:07 AM

I didn't think B Buddy played on party
Old 12-20-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many of you MHNL players have come close to losing your entire BR and have had to start from scratch again?

[/ QUOTE ]

i have. I think many have at one point or another although some of the posters in HSNL are probably some of the rare exceptions.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:57 AM

This is SIKH.

I had a fight with my parents about god sometime in September. That one night I lost 30k which was about half my bankroll.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:24 PM

get a job, and take a break from poker...

in college i went broke off my initial 3k deposit roll, and I took a little break, and worked my next $200 deposit roll up to like 100k in a couple months...

during that break, i basically made gay rules and fixed most my leaks, specially in bankroll management.

and i dunno what to say to your folks, I told mine about my habit after my break...
Old 12-20-2005, 12:41 PM

Well I for one am very very impressed that you went from "deposited a couple of hundred bucks into my PP account" to "I lost 30k which was about half my bankroll" inside of a year. devdas you can play poker baby and you can make money.. thats the good news. The bad news is your idiot and your going through some sort of money donation phase, Now your 28 dude your not a young pup, if you need to get laid get laid, your talking about god, whats god or your parents got to do with playing poker, your not insulting any form of god playing poker, you are if the money is going towards a bad cause?

Let me tell you about god, there is no god but there is life after death, when you die in your body you go on.. All the fokes who dont believe that and think they can do as they please with no result are mistaken, any way your talking about stuff which leads me to think your not playing poker or you are using poker as a means to vent your life frustations? Poker is the best means to show a man for what he really is, who said that, you have lost a lot of money you need to feel the cold chill of reality and know were your at, im not perfect im down 3k over the last year but im learning, every time ive played my A game ive either won or been very very unlucky to lose.

I recommend you give poker a break, go do some thing else for a while, read, exercise, go to temple, sports, tv, girls, browse the web, do some charity work?

You made a lot of money I am very impressed with you, you to me are a master worth a lot of my time, if I could sit and watch you play I would do it every weekend.

Good luck man.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:45 PM

Sounds like you're a gambler and need the action. Walking away for a while should be help BUT you'll probably find yourself back at the tables before you're committed to playing your top game again.

Try hanging out w/your friends, go eat nice meals, go watch movies, concerts, and blow the money elsewhere before getting more stuck playing poker and god forbid limit poker.

a ton of top players go bust from running bad and playing worse or maybe some other vice and if you've only been playing for a year, then that's not suprising at all.

I'm no different and was broke the first year i was playing. But what turned me around was realizing the money I burnt through was long gone and it was time to just start treating my precious little nut that i did have as the beginning of a new bankroll and not the remenants of something that i once had.

I guess the analogy would be something like raising a kid only to have the kid pass away. Then a having a second kid to raise after that. You would raise the second kid as something totally new and you would nurture and bring it up up as well as you could. Hopefully not in the shadow of a kid you've lost in the past because of whatever reason.

And in the end, it's just money. seriously.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:50 PM

If you don't believe in God, then why does any of this upset you? What rules are you trying to live your life by, and why?

I think you need to answer these questions before you can create any sort of plan for your personal life and career.

I would quit poker right now and take a long break and sort this stuff out. I lost half my bankroll (6k, I was a NL$100 player) a year ago. It was bad. I took some time off and made it all back and a lot more.