Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-14-2005, 05:28 AM

Default NL 50 6 max easy fold?

No reads, Villian just got to the table.

Hero ~230, Villian ~50

Hero raises to 3 with KK, Villian calls in the bb,

Tc, 4s, 5h
Villian checks, Hero bets 5, Villian calls.

Turm 2s
Villian checks, Hero Checks

River: Qc
Villian pushes for 38.56, Hero?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:32 AM

Default Re: NL 50 6 max easy fold?

Meh, I'd probably call. This looks too much like BS to me.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:49 AM

Ya, I'd also call. Why would he make a gross overbet when he haven't showed much strength? I think he is really praying you fold, putting you on AK, something like that. If I'm villain and I have a set here, I'm betting it for value, not 38.56 into a 15 or so.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No reads, Villian just got to the table.

Hero ~230, Villian ~50

Hero raises to 3 with KK, Villian calls in the bb,

Tc, 4s, 5h
Villian checks, Hero bets 5, Villian calls.

Turm 2s
Villian checks, Hero Checks

River: Qc
Villian pushes for 38.56, Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very common scenario for me, miss the turn checkraise and then face all in on river. On NL 25 Q 10 is the hand that destroys most of my AA KK hands.
Maybe its stupid to go for turn checkraise if it induces this kind of ugly rivers.

What do u guys think about the turnplay in given hand? Is it better to lead out?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:10 AM

I fold. QTo just kicked your ass. Also, why did you check the turn?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:28 AM

QT seems a bit unlikely for a call of a pf raise in the big blind, although possible. I'd also expect that hand to lead or c/r the flop to see where it was at. I wouldn't be surprised if he had AQ here though - calls a pf raise, calls the probable c-bet with unimproved overs, checks the turn and then shoves it in when he hits.

I'd call, although it's very marginal, mainly because you showed weakness on the turn and the all in looks like it doesn't want to be called.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:44 AM

Pot flop, check turn, call/raise river is the standard around here with overpairs.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:54 AM

Bet that turn. That 2 didn't help anybody. Force villain to make a mistake. If you think you are beat, check behind on the river I would value bet it unimproved 100% of the time).

As played, if you check the turn you have to call a safe river card. Villain could have anything from a badly misplayed set to a missed draw.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Results/Thoughts/a question

I folded and here's why:

I don't get why no one is concerned about him flopping a set. This is the exact line people take who have 1010,44,55. Of course the 2 didn't help him, but if I lead the turn and he c/raises me, then I'm still not sure if I'm behind. In other words, I'm controlling the pot (or trying to at least) so that I make my life easy while confusing him. However, this assumes that he'll bet the pot or value bet the river, rather than push. What worse hands is he pushing with hoping to get me to fold? He just joined the table, he doesn't have a read on me; how does he know he has any FE whatsoever?

I've just been experimenting with this lately. Just to add a little more reasoning:

I play TPTK hands the exact same way. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, this is good for shania. The reason being, I play flopped sets the same way sometimes, bluffs, 2 pair the same way, and thus, my opponents can't narrow my range that well. Do you all think that I'm missing value here? Is this a dumb experiment? Obviously the "it depends" is going to be an initial reaction, but just look at it as a general theory.

Lastly, I raise many hands preflop once I get a stack of 2+ buy-ins, and I make lots of continuation bets. So, that is part of the reason I've been experimenting with this.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Results/Thoughts/a question

[ QUOTE ]
I folded and here's why:

I don't get why no one is concerned about him flopping a set. This is the exact line people take who have 1010,44,55.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you put him on a set after he just calls your flop bet? AT would call as would 67. Bet the turn, I have seen few villains capable of check-raising a turn with air at these levels (I should qualify that aren't complete idiots) and if they do you will be able to trap them later.