Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Law school reqs....

About to finish up college at a State University in New York, just one more year. I double majored in Mass Comm and Communication studies. After interning at a news station and working at one, the pay is too low and it's not as enjoyable as I thought it'd be. I know friends who have taken the LSATS with an english major, well I was thinking if I study my ass off for it, (I'm a bright fellow, at least I think I am), then I could make a reasonable law school. However will my majors and school play a major roll in wheter or not they accept me with a good score on the LSATS? I was thinking something like a copyright lawyer etc etc, so I might stay in the media business, but wear a suit and make a lot more money.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Law school reqs....

Majors matter very little for Law School admission. They sometimes matter for getting a job after school. I had several employers tell me they gave me an interview because I had a "real" major in college.

Also, it is very difficult to "study" for the LSAT. It is largely a test of logical reasoning - either you have it or you don't. But, you can take a lot practice tests and become comfortable with the format and type questions asked.

Finally, set yourself apart in your essays when applying to law school. Don't write some generic BS about how you want to be a lawyer to help people and make a good living. Unless you have some specific interesting story something like your brother is blind and you want to be a lawyer to advocate for the rights of the blind.

Most importantly, do something you love. Being a lawyer is tedious if you don't love it. Trust me, I know this all to well. But just because you go to law school, does not mean you have to be a lawyer. It is a great general education.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:54 PM

It makes virtually no difference to law schools what you major in. The two most important factors to getting in are simply GPA and LSAT score. Things like extracurriculars and good rec letters might be able to nudge you over the top if you're borderline, but basically it's just GPA and LSAT.
Good luck.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It makes virtually no difference to law schools what you major in. The two most important factors to getting in are simply GPA and LSAT score. Things like extracurriculars and good rec letters might be able to nudge you over the top if you're borderline, but basically it's just GPA and LSAT.
Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Law school admissions are 70% LSAT, 20% GPA, 10% other.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:58 PM

Thanks guys! Got my gpa hanging out at 3.7 which is a miracle after so much drinking. I will go pick a book of practice tests up and see what I got. For a while I thought i'd hate that field, but I keep finding myself liking classes like freedom of speech, mass media law, etc etc so maybe I do like it [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Thanks for the info guys
Old 08-04-2005, 01:59 PM

All that really matters to most schools is your GPA and LSAT.

The LSAT is a pretty learnable test. The guy above me said as long as you have good reasoning skills you'll do fine, but that's not really true. Figuring out how to do each type of question really helps a lot and is pretty important. I just bought a couple books and looked over them, but a course wouldn't be a bad idea. Oh, and remember most law schools average your LSAT attempts, so don't just figure you'll take it cold and then study and retake if you do poorly.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:01 PM

which suny? i went to esf.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:04 PM

Oneonta... heh i know I'm going to get the obligatory Stoneonta comment eventually
Old 08-04-2005, 02:28 PM

Alright, when you say any major, have you ever seen anyone with their undergrad in engineering go into law? I would think there'd be plenty of opportunity for someone with an engineering degree, but I don't envision a whole lot of people doing this. I ask because my wife has mentioned interest in doing this. Her BS is in Civil Engineering. I really find it quite unlikely that this will ever happen, but she's curious.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:30 PM

I have an ee degree, I'll be starting in the fall. I knew several guys in undergrad who planned to go into law.