Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Books to read?

I am a 6-max $5/10 and $10/20 limit player, but might move back over to full ring soon. I have read:

SSHE
HEPAP
How good is your Limit Hold Em

I want to read King Yaos book. Any other suggestions that might be good for me? Middle Limit Poker?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Books to read?

King Yao's book is highly recommended, but pretty dry from what I've heard. The short-handed section is supposed to be top notch.

How about some non-theory books? Psychology of Poker. Inside the Poker Mind. Mabye switch things up with Super System II and learn a new game? Mabye checking out Mason's three volumes of essays, or Sklansky's general gambling books would be a nice change?

I just bought Super System and 7-Stud for Advanced players. I'm starting early on my new-year's resolutions to expand from limit hold-em.

You've already got the big three for limit holdem. Branch out.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
King Yao's book is highly recommended, but pretty dry from what I've heard. The short-handed section is supposed to be top notch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Highly recommend Yao's book...only skip/skim the first 100 pages or so. Once he gets done discussing all basic poker foundation information this book really picks up and is absolutely great.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:27 PM

I really don't get what you learn from a book like The Psychology of Poker, or other non-strategy books (that is a non-strategy book, right?). Could you explain some of the benefits that you have gotten out of those types of books? I may be a bit too overconfident here, but I feel I already have a good mentality my approach to the game, I just need to learn how to make my decisions better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I am not entirely closed-minded on the subject though, I just don't really get what I could benefit.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:12 PM

I found the Psychology of Poker interesting, but not entirely sure it helped my game. I think understanding psychology in general though would be +EV and a big help in getting tells and hand reading.

ToP and SSH are the nutz. I have a bunch of books, but those are the ones I reread. I'm getting Super System 2 for Xmas, so we'll see how that holds up.

HPFAP is good, but I don't think I'm yet at the level it helps my game much. Mostly when I read it and try to apply it, it fails because the players aren't good enough to apply the concepts very well.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:14 PM

Hi Spicy,

I'm actually doing the opposite of you, I am a full ring game player transitioning to short games. Anyway, I think Yao's book is very good. And having read your posts, I think Middle Limit Hold'em Poker by Ciaffone would be an excellent choice in that you are seem ready for it.

I think the books you have as well as these two recommendations are the only books you would need.

I am eager to check out Real Poker II by Roy Cooke when it is rereleased. I have heard good things about it, but cannot recommend yet. I think ConJelCo expects to be selling it Dec 10.

Peace