Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: And the new James Bond is...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather see Samuel L Jackson as Bond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. It's be the first use of the following script.

Hot Chick: "What's your name?"
Bond: "Motherfucker. Bad Motherfucker."

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this I could get behind.

007, on Her Majesty's Secret Motherfucking Service.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this guy ruled in layer cake, i have full confidence in him for james bond.

although i feel he's gonna be a meaner james than pierce. pierce was a charming douche

[/ QUOTE ]

We've been overdue for a meaner James Bond for a long, long time.

I may even feel like watching one with this new James Bond in it. I have Layer Cake on order because of the good reviews I've read about this dude being a decent hard ass there.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this guy ruled in layer cake, i have full confidence in him for james bond.

although i feel he's gonna be a meaner james than pierce. pierce was a charming douche

[/ QUOTE ]
I know it's all water under the bridge - but look at the scene in Dr No where Connery shoots the unarmed guy dead for the hell of it, calm as anything.

He was the baddest bond.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:04 PM

Is that the guy boning Sienna Miller?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that the guy boning Sienna Miller?

[/ QUOTE ]

No that's me.

LLL
Old 10-11-2005, 07:23 PM

Yup. Loved that scene, perhaps the best scene in any Bond film.

I also liked how he was "casually" interrogating that same scientist at his workplace earlier on. If you watch it closely, it plays kind of casually but was really a very tense scene, and Bond looks like he's getting really pissed off, but is calm and very polite on the outside. You get the feeling that on the inside he's angry and wants to tear the guy's ears off or something, both to get the truth out of him and because he doesn't care to be bullsh*tted by a guy whose shaky story seems to suggest he's tied in to the death of British agents.

A good illustration of the dual nature of Bond that can make him so interesting when well played. Sharp as a a tack and cool headed, and he knows how to do everything just so, but there's violence underneath and you know he's capable of something nasty. The suit may be beautiful, the manners impeccable, and the aplomb admirable, but you're dealing with something volatile and it could get nasty.

A parallel scene to the one described above is his dinner on the train, in From Russia With Love, with the Russian agent who's pretending to be British. Bond sees through him right away, but grits his teeth as long as he has to in order to find out more from the agent he knew killed one of his own. He looks like he's about to fly into a rage but somehow still manages to pull off looking calm and well-mannered. Quite a neat trick indeed.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yup. Loved that scene, perhaps the best scene in any Bond film.

I also liked how he was "casually" interrogating that same scientist at his workplace earlier on. If you watch it closely, it plays kind of casually but was really a very tense scene, and Bond looks like he's getting really pissed off, but is calm and very polite on the outside. You get the feeling that on the inside he's angry and wants to tear the guy's ears off or something, both to get the truth out of him and because he doesn't care to be bullsh*tted by a guy whose shaky story seems to suggest he's tied in to the death of British agents.

A good illustration of the dual nature of Bond that can make him so interesting when well played. Sharp as a a tack and cool headed, and he knows how to do everything just so, but there's violence underneath and you know he's capable of something nasty. The suit may be beautiful, the manners impeccable, and the aplomb admirable, but you're dealing with something volatile and it could get nasty.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, nice point, Blarg - I'll have to dig it out and watch it.

There's another scene I like that's not obvious, in goldfinger I think. He's trapped, he knows the villain's plans, and there's no clear way to stop it. What does he do? He sits, and starts thinking - calmly.

I love that!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:40 PM

I think I remember that.

The best of the old Sean Connery Bonds often gave you tense situations in which you might wonder, what would I do if it were me? If I were that smooth and deadly, at least. Bond sometimes came up with some damn good answers, and used his head. Then again, he wasn't above trying anything, and even bungling it, as when he tried to sneak a knife off Dr. No's dinner table and got embarassingly chided for it by Dr. No. That you could feel his struggle made it more interesting. With subsequent Bonds, the struggle often had no mental component, or everything was solved with ever more silly gadgets. The earliest Bonds had more tension in them, and Bond was sharper.

Note my addition to the post you quoted. I like moments like these a lot. The post-Connery Bonds didn't manage to pull that sort of thing off.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:06 PM

I actually would have liked to see this guy play Bond. Although I have no idea if he can pull the accent. He's got bits and pieces of Timoty Dalton, and Pierce Brosnan in him, and he's physically fit for the role. Plus he's young so they wouldn't HAVE to replace him any time soon, unless of course they wanted to.

Call me crazy but I think the fat kid from Stand By Me would have made a good Bond.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually would have liked to see this guy play Bond. Although I have no idea if he can pull the accent. He's got bits and pieces of Timoty Dalton, and Pierce Brosnan in him, and he's physically fit for the role. Plus he's young so they wouldn't HAVE to replace him any time soon, unless of course they wanted to.

Call me crazy but I think the fat kid from Stand By Me would have made a good Bond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joke?