Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2004, 08:17 PM

Default Canterbury Sunday Tourney

OK, I've seen posts re: Canterbury's Wed tourneys, but nothing for their "freeroll" tourney they have on Sunday. They say that registration starts at 7:30AM for seated players and 9:00 for others.

First off, is it NL? Does it sell out early? Ironically I'll probably be up early on Sunday anyway to watch the F1 race, but I could just as easily go to Canterbury (and yes, I know it's Mother's Day, but my mom will be out of town and my wife has already said "OK" if I want to do it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Just curious if anything is different at the Sunday AM one compared to the Wed night ones. I figure for $12 it may be worth trying.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Canterbury Sunday Tourney

The Sunday morning tournament is kind of stupid, but you do have an overlay. It is limit. Everyone gets something like $800 in chips, and you play $15/30 for an hour. Eddie (or whoever is doing it that week) then announces, "OK, dealers, finish the hand you're on, and then deal two more." Everyone then caps every round with everyone in for those two hands, and you see who has the most chips. I am not exaggerating. Whoever has the most chips on each of the ten tables then advances to the final table, where they do the same thing again. The winner gets $1200, and everyone else gets $100, something like that, except that they usually chop it so it's $400 and $200, respectively, and no one gets a tax form. Not the most rewarding poker experience, but it's only $12, and you get a bad breakfast to boot.

You have to get there early, and you have to play in a cash game. The place is just rotten with $2/4 games in the early morning, and the tournament sells out at like 8 or 8:30 (it's been a while since I've been there at that time; I try to get home by 5).

I think you haven't seen anything about it on here because no self-respecting 2+2er would be caught dead playing in it. I've played in it twice.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:52 PM

LOL! Wow, that does sound pretty bad. I was hoping it would at least be NL and play for "real".

Looks like I'll just sleep in. I'm glad I asked first [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the info.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:04 PM

I also agree. I heard about this and was like wow $12 for a tourney and breakfast. The breakfast is like a 1 star hotel and the tournament is a waste of time. Not proving anything.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you haven't seen anything about it on here because no self-respecting 2+2er would be caught dead playing in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

*takes self off the list*

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PS It usually sells out by 7:30 now.