Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: JJ, too timid?

[ QUOTE ]
I usually reraise pre with JJ just to get some info. If he calls you assume he has overcards, giving you information that your JJ is good. However, if he is a tricky player he could have AA or KK and just call your reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do that all the time with AA if the person is agressive, then stack them on a low flop. The LAG can never let his queens go.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would fold this pf. he might have AQs.

[/ QUOTE ]

MM on AQs vs JJ gets pwned
Old 11-18-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the fascination with blasting away at pots nonstop. What was the board here? Like 884 rainbow? Betting huge just means you lose more money. If $3 will pick up the pot when the other guy has no hand, then why bet more? Or, if he'll call $3 with hands you beat... then why bet more? Building big pots out of position on ridiculously dry boards with marginal holdings is just chip spewing.

With that said, betting for information makes no sense if your opponent tells you that you have two outs and you go ahead and put more money in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please define marginal holding? Someone opened from MP, and you have JJ? This is marginal? The flop comes down 884, I don't see how you can be so weak tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can this be anything but marginal? What gives action that he beats? His opponent raised preflop in what I assume to be a typical low-stakes full-ring rock garden. I'm not thrilled about unimproved JJ.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if he's got a hand like AK? If you only bet $3 then he's getting the correct price to call. You need to at least bet enough to make it incorrect for him to draw out on you if you're ahead.

Edit: Too timid, yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

You typically call getting 3:1 with nothing but overcards? Good luck with that.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Typical Hand for me. Am I too timid?

100nl Pokerstars. I'm in small blind($0.50) with JJ.

MP(unknown) raises to $3, I call,

What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate it.

Reraise to about $8-10.
If he comes over the top for over $40 muck it.

Why the big reraise?

You are ok with with hand decided now since you will be OOP postflop.

If he calls continuation bet about $20 on the 884 flop.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:02 PM

Marginal is PP JJ-99. Capable of winning a pot unimproved but not able to withstand any pressure.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What if he's got a hand like AK? If you only bet $3 then he's getting the correct price to call. You need to at least bet enough to make it incorrect for him to draw out on you if you're ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1353460
pokenum -h js jd - ah kc -- 8c 8h 4s
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 4s 8c 8h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Js Jd 752 75.96 238 24.04 0 0.00 0.760
Kc Ah 238 24.04 752 75.96 0 0.00 0.240

Typically I don't, but if he knew what you had, it would be a correct call.

I just prefer to make a little larger bet in this spot, typically about $5, which is also what I'd bet if I had an 8.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:24 PM

I don't like this play, but not because you might be timid. You probably are if you have to ask.

If this guy just sat and I have no read then I have no way of interpreting what his bring-in short of the standard 4BB means so it doesn't mean anything.

If I think about calling a raise from the blinds with a pp the first consideration is his stack size. If I'm going to call $3 then I want to win a min. of $36 if I flop a set.

When I don't make a set, I've got marginal JJ, the board is paired, and I'm playing a complete unknown OOP and only 7BB in the pot I've pretty much lost interest in this hand. I'm definitely not leading into the raiser. I check and see what happens. Probably fold to a bet. However, I reserve the right to play poker. I can change my mind and check-raise with a big semi-bluff if I feel like its a good play. But probably not doing this here.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the fascination with blasting away at pots nonstop. What was the board here? Like 884 rainbow? Betting huge just means you lose more money. If $3 will pick up the pot when the other guy has no hand, then why bet more? Or, if he'll call $3 with hands you beat... then why bet more? Building big pots out of position on ridiculously dry boards with marginal holdings is just chip spewing.

With that said, betting for information makes no sense if your opponent tells you that you have two outs and you go ahead and put more money in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please define marginal holding? Someone opened from MP, and you have JJ? This is marginal? The flop comes down 884, I don't see how you can be so weak tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can this be anything but marginal? What gives action that he beats? His opponent raised preflop in what I assume to be a typical low-stakes full-ring rock garden. I'm not thrilled about unimproved JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do partially agree that nothing will give him action other than hands that he's losing to, I believe that you're giving too much credit to low stakes ring game players. Additionally, I don't believe that the words 'typical low-stakes' and 'rock garden' are in any way related.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1353460
pokenum -h js jd - ah kc -- 8c 8h 4s
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 4s 8c 8h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Js Jd 752 75.96 238 24.04 0 0.00 0.760
Kc Ah 238 24.04 752 75.96 0 0.00 0.240

Typically I don't, but if he knew what you had, it would be a correct call.

I just prefer to make a little larger bet in this spot, typically about $5, which is also what I'd bet if I had an 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize you can't count on him giving you the turn AND river for $3 right?