Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Flop and Turn decision 99...

[ QUOTE ]
I also like a cap PF as you face the original raiser with a decision and it is great to get this HU. conversely, just calling to see if he caps also give you info, but makes it more likely to be 3 or 4 way.

[/ QUOTE ]

original raiser is simply not folding. the reason to cap would be to fold the bb a larger % of the time.

to do that, we forfeit the info gleaned from original raiser's action, bloat the pot, and give relative position back to those IN position. idont like doing that, justnot my style. especially w/ a hand like 99 where you can c'r people out of the action in a smaller pot. like what i almost did here, but decided against it. which is why i posted the hand.

further, what hands does the BB call 2 cold with not closing the action that he folds to a cap? i dont remember who the bb was here.

i think this hand vs. these guys is close to a cap than a fold though pf. specifically the original raiser. change his pf raising standards and it quickly moves closer to a fold than either a call or a cap.

Barron
Old 11-17-2005, 02:53 PM

My reason for a pf cap would not be to fold out BB or the original raiser, although that would be nice. It is sort of for momentum and sort of for folding equity. Many times in these LP raise/3-bet/SB or BB cap situations, I see the capper taking it down on the flop. The range of hands that your opponents may have is so wide that I don't think it's wise to see a flop and then decide. A majority of the time, there will be overcard(s) and you won't have a set, and you will have no clue where you stand. Are you check raising an KJ8 flop? How about QT7? or A63?

Also note that it's not as if you have great relative position postflop. You would be next to act after the 3-bettor. So it's not as if you can see how your other opponents react to a sure flop bet.

If your opponents are very aggressive and will put you to the test anyways postflop even if you cap, then just calling preflop would be ok.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also note that it's not as if you have great relative position postflop. You would be next to act after the 3-bettor. So it's not as if you can see how your other opponents react to a sure flop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i assume relative position is. next to act after the pfraiser in a non HU pot. you get to act next and decide whether to face the field w/ 2 bets or 1.

w/ a hand like a made pair that is vulnerable, thats where you want to be.

Barron
Old 11-17-2005, 04:39 PM

Another issue to consider is that you are trying to protect your hand not just from the original raiser, but also the 3-bettor. Also, I think that it is more likely that the 3-bettor would have 2 overcards to your hand compared to the original raiser.

I think you will get incorrect flop folds from overcards a lot more if you cap pf. I.e. if you were the pf 3-bettor and had AJ, are you more likely to fold to a cap and flop bet on a rag flop, or to a flop check-raise on a rag flop?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:27 PM

Interesting hand. I do think it gets a little trickier when you wait for the turn so try to get rid of LMP. My default is defintely to just check raise the flop and take it from there. I'm a little uncomfortable with letting LMP peel one off on the flop, but I see the logic behind waiting for the turn. What cards were you plannng on donking rather than checkraising? How would you handle it if say a K or Q fell on the turn? Everybody is different but I sotra feel like I would be in no mans land a lot of the time after just calling flop. I like the river check call, assuming thats what it is.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Clarification + Results

clarification: river was a check call.

but he checked behind. and mucked to my nines.

Barron
Old 11-19-2005, 04:26 PM

Default \"probability triple\"

eric,

what is your probability triple for this situation on the flop?

bet, check w/i of raising, check w/i of folding, check w/i on calling:

{25,50,5,20}? just a shot...

Barron