Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 11:19 PM

Default 88 in the BB

I was about 1/2 way through the $15,000 guaranteed on PR tonight (900 bought in, about 450 left and top 80 paid). Blinds were 75/150 and stacks including mine were about $3000.

5 people limp preflop, and I have 88 in the BB. Do I push, hoping to take $750 right there and/or not be in bad shape if I'm called, or is that too dangerous and I should check and hope to make a set?

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:16 AM

Default Re: 88 in the BB

That's a tough one. While a steal would be nice here, if you get two callers with just overcards, you're no better than a 3:1 underdog. Worse if either of them has suited overcards. Much worse if either has an overpair. So best case, the pot odds *might* justify this play, and you're likely to be going home.

On the other hand, you'll never get a cheaper shot at hitting a set, which could definitely lead to doubling or tripling up here.

-Z
Old 10-16-2004, 05:27 PM

Here's an article Daniel N wrote about a similar hand.

I think his approach requires excellent reads post-flop, as well as sophisticated opponents. Still, it was a real gamble.

Paul P commented on this play recently here.

-Z
Old 10-16-2004, 07:08 PM

If you are the average stack, no need to push with just a mediocre hand.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:23 PM

As you said, Daniel's play requires that you're up against exceptional opponents and good reads on these opponents so I don't think it would work in an online MTT with unknown opponents. That being said, in general, if you have a mid-PP as the BB, would the correct play be to check to try to flop a set and then fold to a decent-sized bet if you miss? Obviously, there are other factors involved, but in general mid PPs are pretty scary post-flop unless you make a set because most of the time there are going to be overcards on the board. Comments?
Old 10-16-2004, 07:39 PM

There are too many factors to be able to say what the correct play might be post-flop. Even if you don't hit your set, you might flop a straight draw and might take a shot at a semi-bluff, depending on the cards, your opponents, and the strength they show.

-Z
Old 10-17-2004, 04:13 AM

With 5 people limping, it is the best to limp and make a killing if you hit your set. If not you fold your blinds to a bet. Say an ace or king is with your 8 on the flop. you come fireing a half pot bet. youll get callers or maybe even reraised especially from a late position. Even if its two flushed, You will have 10 outs to the probable nuts, and might get an all-in semi flush bluff. I would call everytime with 4 or more limpers. Online, one of the early limpers most likely will take you all in if you raise pre flop.