Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2004, 11:46 PM

Default AQs in big pot

Hey everyone,

I was playing $.50/$1 NL on Pokerroom tonight, and while I did very well, I wondered if I played a hand where I lost big correctly.

Seat 1: UTG ($42.70 in chips)
Seat 2: UTG+1 ($45 in chips)
Seat 3: ChipsAhoya [AC,QC] ($219.55 in chips)
Seat 4: MP1 ($33.45 in chips)
Seat 5: MP2 ($76.80 in chips)
Seat 6: MP3 ($55.05 in chips)
Seat 7: CO ($11.50 in chips)
Seat 8: Button ($43.90 in chips)
Seat 9: SB ($29 in chips)
Seat 10: BB ($49.50 in chips)

PRE-FLOP
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, ChipsAhoya calls $0.50, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50, Button folds, SB bets $4, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $3.75, ChipsAhoya calls $3.75, MP2 folds, CO folds.

I had everyone covered by quite a bit thanks to a big fish who re-bought 2 times, and with everyone limping to me, I figured that I would just limp hoping to keep people in and make a play for someone's stack depending on the flop. The SB raise to $4, and I flat called after another player did.

FLOP [board cards JH,6H,QS ]
SB bets $12, UTG+1 folds, ChipsAhoya bets $25, SB calls $12.75 and is all-in.

Is TPTK good here? He bet about the size of the pot (I had no read on him), and I figured that he was just trying to pick up the pot w/ AK or a small pair. It wouldn't cost too much more (min raise) to put him all-in, so I did. Are JJ, KK, and AA too likely for me to call here?

TURN [board cards JH,6H,QS,6S ]

RIVER [board cards JH,6H,QS,6S,4D ]

SHOWDOWN in white:
<font color="white">ChipsAhoya shows [ AC,QC ]
SB shows [ KD,KH ]
ChipsAhoya wins $0.25, SB wins $61.25. </font>

Just wondering if I missed something somewhere, or if I made a mistake pre-flop; should I have I raised originally, or failing that, should I min raise his $4 to get him on a hand?

Thanks,
ChipsAhoya
Old 12-05-2004, 12:27 AM

Default Re: AQs in big pot

I dont like calling big raises w/AQ, especially in the worst possible position(caught between the raiser and the other potential callers) This is a huge concept at big bet poker. with other players(calling the raise) between you and the pre-flop raiser it might be OK with your AQs. I didnt see what was in white(could someone tell me how to do that? -- I'm new to forums), but the problem was forseeable. Flopping an ace gives rise to similar problems: did he raise preflop with AA or AK? IF you judge the preflop raiser as being extremely loose with his raises then there is no no problem to commiting the whole stack once you hit your hand. If, however, you dont make that judgement then the preflop call was bad.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IF you judge the preflop raiser as being extremely loose with his raises then there is no no problem to commiting the whole stack once you hit your hand. If, however, you dont make that judgement then the preflop call was bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's what I figured... There was a lot of dead money in that pot, and there's a lot of possibilities about what he might have; he could have been just trying to pick up all the limps. I took his pot-sized bet to mean that he wanted folders, not callers since the only things hitting this flop are JJ, KK, and AA since I have AQ. Was that a bad assumption? I might have to start getting away from AK and AQ more...

Peter, you can view the results in white by highlighting the text which will put a different background color up other than the white/beige that stops you from seeing it... Kind of like this board game I used to play where you had to put cards in a piece with little red windows to see the answers...

-ChipsAhoya
Old 12-05-2004, 02:26 PM

I would raise it myself to 2.5 $ and then dump it when the small blind reraise me. With two limper in the pot you can be happy that everyone fold and that you take their money risk free. If you have pokertracker, just check how much you win in average with AQs.

And in my opinion, you have a much better chance of busting someone in a raised pot than a limped one, people tend to overplay their hand in a raised pot, especially if you are aggressive on the flop [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]