Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: I love whiskey thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

most whiskeys, yes - but jack daniels was made to be done a shot at a time, with a big swig of coke as a chaser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heartily disagree with this statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's okay - it's a sentimental thing for me.

not to mention a good way to get unspeakably drunk very quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's why I didn't say 'you are wrong' because it's always personal when it comes to hooch.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:31 AM

Old 10-19-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isle of Jura

Very nice, fairly cheap.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a bottle of the 10yo at home right now, and I really don't like it.

A good introduction to scotch is something like a Macallan 12yo. A tasty and balanced scotch of moderate power, reasonably priced. If you want to try out the more peaty and smoky stuff, obviously you need to go Islay. The best introductory scotch from islay is IMO Laphroaig 10yo. Very complex, very powerful, smoky and peaty, and still remarkably balanced. Might be my favorite whisky of all times. For an outsider pick, I shared a bottle of Bruichladdich 12yo with some friends this summer. Truly a remarkable scotch. The taste is not smoky or peaty so much as flowery and fruity, yet it is very powerful, the tastes wash over your tongue like a flood. Highly recommended, although I am not sure if it's easily attainable in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah it's a little simple, no doubt you are recommending better gear here, but JD is simple too, I've met quite a few people who weren't in love with Jura, but I've never known anyone to object badly to it.

Regards Mack
Old 10-19-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any scotch will do, as long as it's not a blend, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an obscure reference to my favorite movie swingers, not a naive reference. give the man a break.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:48 PM

I'm not sure scotch or small-batch bourbon would be the next place to go. I think these people are forgetting their whiskey-drinkin' roots.
Try some of the Irish whiskeys. For a light, mellow one Tullamore Dew is very good.
Also a good canadian whisky like Crown.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isle of Jura

Very nice, fairly cheap.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a bottle of the 10yo at home right now, and I really don't like it.

A good introduction to scotch is something like a Macallan 12yo. A tasty and balanced scotch of moderate power, reasonably priced. If you want to try out the more peaty and smoky stuff, obviously you need to go Islay. The best introductory scotch from islay is IMO Laphroaig 10yo. Very complex, very powerful, smoky and peaty, and still remarkably balanced. Might be my favorite whisky of all times. For an outsider pick, I shared a bottle of Bruichladdich 12yo with some friends this summer. Truly a remarkable scotch. The taste is not smoky or peaty so much as flowery and fruity, yet it is very powerful, the tastes wash over your tongue like a flood. Highly recommended, although I am not sure if it's easily attainable in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great call on the Macallan. I always say it's scotch for non scotch people. I love it.
I can't get bast the "band-aid" taste of Laphroaig. My wife loves it though.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:09 PM

Old 10-19-2005, 03:11 PM

I hear good things about Rebel Yell. It's just come available in my area, worth a try?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:34 PM

I've killed bottles of Fighting Cock with some friends before. I can't believe anyone else has ever heard of it.

No, it wasn't a pleasant experience.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Single malt only has become the mantra of those that know very little about scotch but want to appear knowledgeable. Many people fit into this category, unfortunately, probably more than in the category of connoisseur. I agree that it probably started in a men's fashion magazine.

[/ QUOTE ]

My only experience with blended scotches have been cheap ones that taste to me like grain alcohol with peat flavoring added (and I think with a cheap blend the color actually come from food coloring, since there isn't enough old scotch in it to make it brown). I've never had a single malt that wasn't at least decent, but there are lots and lots of crappy blends. As long as they don't get snooty about it, you can't blame the uninitiated for going for single malts versus blends when in doubt.

The only good blended scotches I know of are in the $100+ / bottle range. Can you recommend some good blends to try?