Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Charity Tourney for Hurricane Victims?

This is an email I just got today from my best friend (J) from highschool who lives(lived) in NO...K is a Teach For America teacher:

"Hi everybody,

Many of you have tried to reach K and me via phone or email over the last few days and we'd like to thank you for thinking of us during this tumultuous time. the rest of you can go to hell. don't you people watch the news? anyway, this past saturday we woke up, watched CNN for about half-an-hour and decided it was time to leave. at that point the stortm didn't seem so bad so we didn't really take anything except for toothbrushes and maybe 3 changes of clothes. we left around 2:00 in the afternoon and drove to Austin TX. We spent three days in Austin with some other friends and are now in Houston staying with one of K's friends from VT. After hearing today that school will not be open for at least two months and that everyone in the city is being forced to leave, we have decided to drive back east. At this point, everything in our apartment is presumed destroyed (we are hopeful K's two month old car is safe in the garage) and we will have to wait many weeks before we can fly back to survey the damage. Hopefully, TFA's national office will tell us soon if they are going to provide any financial help (K has not yet received a single paycheck) as well as whether they even expect us to return to NO. Fortunately, we are both safe and will have one helluva story to tell. Damn the south. We hope you all are doing well and would love to hear from you.

Best, K and J"
Old 08-30-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: For those who were out

Hasn't this been done before?

it was done at stars AFTER the zoo started our tourney.

hopefully paradise can do the same.

the zoo, IMO, was responsible for stars massive effort last year. we started with our lil' tourney and it turned into a $400k (i think) snowball.

slacker is starting a new thread on this, so let's move the chat there.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:59 PM

I'll play if I can remember what username I have on Paradise.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll play if I can remember what username I have on Paradise.

[/ QUOTE ]

you bring up a good point. people who have no account there but want to play, will be given a link that is a house link. i.e. acct will NOT go to ANY affiliate. revenue from the sign-up would go in the pool.

more on that later. slacker is starting an "official" thread tonight, and i'll be back in morning with news on a donation account.

thx all!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Must say that some of the attitudes displayed in this thread are appalling.

One million people have been displaced from New Orleans alone. They probably have no homes or jobs to return to. And when might they be able to return?

When...and if....they can in the foreseeable future, their city is trashed. There is already talk of possible rampant disease as the result of the flooding. Who knows how long it might take to restore clean water, electricity, and sewage disposal.

These are people from all walks of life....middle class, rich, poor. They are all in the same mess.....and deserve help.

The ramifications of this on the rest of the country are significant. One million displaced persons, and 40% of this country's oil refining capabilities out of commission for who knows how long. Gasoline prices are already going up....but paying more at the pump is minor compared to what these folks are enduring right now.

I don't play tournys, but I can give. Count me in for a donation.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a good feeling already.

THANKS MALO!! GOT the transfer!!
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

we have another donation. we are at almost $100 and we have not even started the official thread.

da ZOO rules
Old 08-30-2005, 08:56 PM

Default It\'s not quite the same unless

there is some amount of money that would enable your uncle to return to the living.

If there is, put me down for whatever you need.

I hope the money I sent will be going to assist those who were fortunate enough to survive yet unfortunate enough to have endured it at all.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:59 AM

OK, I completely retract my previous statements, this is far more serious than I first thought. My apologies. I shall donate to the Paradise fund as soon as I get home.