Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-22-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Big pot with TPTK

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope online moves to 200bb stacks soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has if you play at Absolute.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are the NL games at Absolute?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another option with these stack sizes is to checkraise all-in on the turn, although I don't know if typical players in this game are aggressive enough to make this your best move.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm never purposefully putting my stack in with TPTK without a damn good read that villain is either drawing or calling down with a worse kicker. I don't often have enough information here. I think only worse hands are calling this move.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we can get him to put in over half his stack with a worse hand before folding then I'd say we've done an excellent job of both getting value and protecting our hand. And I don't really seeing you providing any betting alternatives... if this goes to showdown without your stack getting involved then you almost certainly have the best hand. I'm more concerned with keeping the pot small the times I lose, not the times I win...
Old 12-22-2005, 07:28 PM

Your line looks good. I think you see a busted draw here a lot.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Results

Results: Villain shows A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and MHIG.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:45 PM

if you can't fold in this spot, go 50.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:30 PM

This thread is hilarious. Am I the only one who remembers how happy everyone was when Party switch to 100BB stacks??

I agree that I wish they would switch to 200BB or uncapped though. Uncapped buy-ins at Party would be... amazing.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:21 PM

OP is getting 2.7:1. At what odds do you fold this?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:47 PM

I don't like the pot to get too big with only one pair either. To keep the pot smaller I would consider 1/2 pot bets to protect your hand on the flop and turn. Closer to 1 pot bets increase the pot exponentially. The 1/2 pot is denying the flush draw or straight draw pot odds. Your opponent has implied odds too, but I don't think you are giving anything away by charging him 1/2 the pot. If he has more outs than 8 or 9 he is going to call most bets anyhow or raise.

This also has some good side effects outside of primary draws. You don't give too many chips away when you are already beaten, and you allow a few weaker hands to call a 1/2 pot bet rather than say a 4/5 pot bet on the flop. A 1/2 pot bet looks more like a continuation bet.

You will have to change it up and bet the pot once in awhile on bluffs or mediocre hands since you want him to call your 1 pot bets when you have a monster too.

Any thoughts on the 1/2 pot bet?
Old 12-24-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6xbb in the CO with AQ and 2 limpers is fairly standard.

EDIT - Whoops. Thought hero was CO. But Hero does still have position on the 2 limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard or not, I'm just saying these are situations I like to avoid, because I don't like commiting all of my chips with TPTK, which is what you are playing for with AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree w/ this statement. In NL AQ seems to lose way more big pot than it wins.

The reality is that you're going all-in on a guess, on someone else's terms. It's a bad position to be in.

If I had to take a stab on what he has, he called w/ suited connectors fell into the two pairs, and then the boat.

Unless you know him to be a tricky MFer, I fold.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the pot to get too big with only one pair either. To keep the pot smaller I would consider 1/2 pot bets to protect your hand on the flop and turn. Closer to 1 pot bets increase the pot exponentially. The 1/2 pot is denying the flush draw or straight draw pot odds. Your opponent has implied odds too, but I don't think you are giving anything away by charging him 1/2 the pot. If he has more outs than 8 or 9 he is going to call most bets anyhow or raise.

This also has some good side effects outside of primary draws. You don't give too many chips away when you are already beaten, and you allow a few weaker hands to call a 1/2 pot bet rather than say a 4/5 pot bet on the flop. A 1/2 pot bet looks more like a continuation bet.

You will have to change it up and bet the pot once in awhile on bluffs or mediocre hands since you want him to call your 1 pot bets when you have a monster too.

Any thoughts on the 1/2 pot bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 pot bets seem pretty good, odds aren't there for the draws and it controls the pot size much better, the only problem I see with it is that if I'm playing against myself here, me (with the flush draw) will make me (with tptk) lay down the best hand very often with a semi-bluff.