Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-07-2005, 08:40 PM

Default TJ suited on the button

reads are minimal. villain seems non retarded, and hasnt gotten out of line since i have been at the table.

50nl 6max
effective stack 51
dealt to hero
10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on button

pre flop-UTG limps, MP limps, hero limps, SB completes, BB checks.

flop (2.5)-K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB bets 1.5, MP raises to 4, hero raises to 14, BB folds, MP calls.

turn (32)-6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
MP checks, hero checks.

river (32)-9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
MP bets 5, hero raises to 25...

this hand had me pretty confused as to what the best plan of action was. i am not sure i like how i played it, or dislike how i played it. advise on all streets appreciated.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: TJ suited on the button

Looks textbook to me.

Pre-flop you limped in a multiway pot with a drawing hand

Raised the flop with a monster draw. Size of raise might be debatable, but raising gets you the...

Free Turn Card.....Nothing worse than those nasty turn check raisers........

River......Hit the nuts....License to pillage.....Lots of 2nd best possibilities out there......
Old 12-07-2005, 08:58 PM

Dont limp here preflop-- raise.

Flop looks g00t. Hopefully you have a TAG image for fold equity.

Turn is good.

River... I'm only raising to 14 or so. I really don't think he has much of a hand, so I want to get paid of by KJ/KT, which I think are by far his most likely hands. You might see something like AK, K8 depending on how bad villian is.

25 isn't bad on the river... I just don't think he'll call it.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:09 PM

The only debatable street to me is the river. You play is confusing and looks like a bluff : I like the sizeable bet.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 PM

River should be whatever you think he would have called with most of his holdings. If it was 25, you have to be the judge of that. I think raising to 15 has a much higher % of being called here than 25 given his possible holdings. I definatly like the flop raise. It gave you the free card you wanted. What exactly are you questioning about your play here?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly are you questioning about your play here?

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess im wondering about the river. i was planning on making a normal vb if i hit my flush, but i thought this line would look wierd at the river. should i just vb it here? oh yeah, and if i miss do i just give up?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:24 PM

I would like to examine the reraise on the flop.

Reasons to raise:
1. You might win the pot right now.
With a bet and a raise in a multiway pot two people have said that they have a hand. I think the chance of this has gone down, it would be much better if they had checked.

2. You get a free card on the turn.
Well if you had called I'm not sure the turn bet would have been much bigger than the raise on the flop.

3. It can disguise your hand somewhat when you hit.
This might be a good point.

Reasons not to raise on the flop:
1. You don't necessarily want people to fold because when you hit you will want a strong hand and you want more people in the pot to have either improved or call a bet.
2. Not raising will leave more money in your stack for implied odds if you make your hand on the turn.
3. You might get reraised all in right there on the flop with a set or possibly top 2 pair by MP who may not get a chance to bet again this round if you do not raise.

Any thoughts about this?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:28 PM

is it absolutely horrible to put in a raise on the turn here?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:31 PM

You mean bet the turn? I guess you could continue your semi bluff and hope for a fold. He raised the flop and then called your reraise, I don't think he is going away too easily here. If you had some sort of read I suppose you could bet the turn but you could get raised rather than seeing a free card.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:36 PM

Big draws like this prefer to be all in because if opponent stop and go's you all in on the turn, you are in a very rough spot. Also if you flatcall the flop and villian pops the turn for pot it is generally a bad idea to call.

When you raise the flop and villian checks the turn and you check behind this is just like being all in on the flop and that is how your hand plays best.