Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Flopping two pair in the blinds

8-16 at Hawaiian Gardens in CA. 9 handed. I've been seated for almost one orbit. Just won a decent pot with AK against 5 seat. He called me down with JJ after a flop of A84. Seems to be a pretty loose calling station. Seat 3 is older guy that hasn't played a hand yet and is tilting. He keeps complaining about a "bad beat" he took a little while ago.

I am BB. EP2 call. Seat 3 call. Seat 5 call. CO call. Buton call. SB completes. I check with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

(6 SB) Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

SB checks. I bet. EP2 folds. Seat 3 calls. Seat 5 calls. Everyone else folds.

I bet out to protect my hand. I was pretty sure that I had the best hand and was hoping to get raised by a flush draw or straight draw so I could three bet. I thought seat 3 could have KQ, QJ, AT-JT, or KJ for straight draw or big club draw. Seat 5 could have any of the above or much weaker like bottom pair with any kicker.

(4.5 BB) Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I bet, seat 3 raises, seat 5 calls. I included AA or KK in seat 3's range of hands. He could have been very poorly slow playing these. Seat 5 drawing to flush or still maybe with one pair. He's seems to be that bad of a player.

I three bet and both call.

(12.5 BB) River: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I bet. Seat 3 calls. Seat 5 raises. I think he made a set or two pair. I call. Seat 3 folds AA faceup.

Can I fold this river? Should I check raise flop or turn instead of betting out? Flopping two pair in the blinds is something I have trouble with. Never really sure how to play them. Please help.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Flopping two pair in the blinds

I like the entire hand, including the turn 3bet(against most people) and the river call.

You CANNOT fold on this river for 1 bet. Seat 5 is raising a worse hand at least 8% of the time so you can call.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Flopping two pair in the blinds

first of all, you can not fold the river - the pot is so big you'd have to be about 95% sure you're beat. It's just pure math even if you feel strongly that your beat.

second, I like the way you played the hand all the way .. here's why - you can't c/r the flop, it's way too dangerous to give a free card as it presents many str8 and flush draws and you don't want gutshots checking behind you. the turn is aggressive and I like it with top two pair and no completed draws - if you had bottom two or top/bottom it would have been overly aggressive to 3 bet. sound to me like someone hit lucky trips on 5th st. or else is a 2/3 suited fool - either way, I can't be sure I'm beat but I suspect it - pay it off. well played - you'll be taking their moolah in the long run.