Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 10:44 PM

Default How to Multi Table

I'm wondering if there are any tricks to multi-tabling. I usually play 2 or maybe 3 PP 10+1s at a time. During most hands I've got a decent amount of dead time when I read 2+2, watch TV, mess with PokerAce, etc. However, every now and again when I pick up a couple of decent hands at one time, I can be a bit pushed to get all of my raising/calling/checking/calculating pot odds done. I feel like I might be able to handle 4 at once, but any more than that and I think that I'd be completely lost as to what to do when I get AK, QQ, 88 at once. This is especially true of hands that require a bit more attention to play such as SCs, medium PPs, AJ-A9, and so on.

Is there some sort of strategy that doesn't require as much thought or that directs actions more exactly. In other words, are there some tricks or strategies to playing 6-12 or more tables at once?

Thanks,
Will
Old 12-05-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: How to Multi Table

push smaller edges. Win more than you lose [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 10:49 PM

Remember, early stages are about survival, not building huge stacks. And pushbot every +EV spot in later levels [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 10:55 PM

I think a lot of it is just experience. The better you get, and the more hands you play, the more situations you can negotiate with minimal thought. One thing that may help you is to replay your tournaments with PokerTracker, using PokerStove and SnGPT to analyze some of the decisions you made. Once you've done this on enough hands, the right play becomes more obvious and you need less time to make a decision on it.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, early stages are about survival, not building huge stacks. And pushbot every +EV spot in later levels [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think i agree with that statement.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is especially true of hands that require a bit more attention to play such as SCs, medium PPs, AJ-A9, and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]Some people simply don't play those hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, early stages are about survival, not building huge stacks. And pushbot every +EV spot in later levels

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see how this works on the $27s. I still can't fathom how this works on the $215s and up. Yet I know it works because I've seen guys like ZeeJustin do it.

It looks to me basically like fold through level 3 unless you get a super-premium hand, than push on any raising hand after that. Call pushes with slightly better than opening push hands. Does that about sum it up?

I play against a guy like that on PS who 8-tables the $27s. I know to get the hell out of the way in level 1-3 if he enters a pot, but don't be scared to call his preflop push when he gets to M < 10 (worst feeling in the world is seeing him call or push your big raise preflop in the early levels). I really don't think he's a winning player vs. me on the 27s. But I guess that's not the point if he's still beating my ROI, which I'm sure he is.

Aren't most of the players at the $215s and up onto this though? How can anyone have an edge if everyone's playing the same formula? Or worse yet, they're against a few players who know what's up, and are on few enough tables thet can actually play some poker and counter the formula (assuming it can be countered). I'm currently straddling the $27s and $60s, and I've noticed a giant difference in the amount of fishiness at the $60s. I'd say on the $27s you had 3-4 out and out suckers per tourney, on the $60s seems like you're lucky to have one (which means the other one might be me, I realize). Anyway, I can't imagine there's a whole lot of out and out stupidity on the big buy-in SNGs. Am I wrong there?

Again, I know guys like Zee crush those games, I just really need to try to understand what their edge is when 8 tabling the $215s.

then how about a response
Old 12-05-2005, 11:16 PM

What exactly is pushbotting? What kind of hands are you pushing and in what situations? Is it something to only do with the big stack, only with 4 left, only with a reasonably good hand, etc? I've heard a decent amount about it, but I've only got a very vague notion of what it is.

Thanks,
Will
Old 12-05-2005, 11:34 PM

Pushbotting, as I understand it, is merely open pushing when blinds get large enough to make it +EV to do so. For a specific range, search posts here, purchase SNG power tools to do your own evaluation.