Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Mid pair, missed draw... which line?

Do I bet the turn and take a free showdown UI, or is this line fine? Or something else? Villain is a 28/9/1.4. Meh, my line just felt weak.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.20 BB
Old 06-28-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Mid pair, missed draw... which line?

Looks ok until the river against most players I guess. I like to call the river against almost any1 here though. I bet the turn a lot if I havent seen him checkraising a lot. Since he just checkraised the flop however, he doesnt fit this description very well. Also, if your hand is good you arent giving up much by checking anyways, since you probably have a lot more outs if you are behind than he does if he is behind, and he is probably ahead the majority of the time. I think the only reason to bet is if you think you can get him off of a 6, but I doubt you can.

-Mike
Old 06-28-2005, 02:10 AM

I bet this turn. I don't want to fold this river after checking through the turn, so I might as well get my bet in while I have some fold equity. You also get value when he was raising for the free card on the flop, which is pretty frequent here.

You also set yourself up for a 3-bet (he check-raises) if he's drawing to a heart as well and it comes in. That's a tiny factor, but it helps.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:32 AM

I bet the turn, and check behind the river UI.

By checking the turn, he's autobetting the river, which sucks, because your hand has resonable showdown value.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:40 AM

checking the turn is fine as long as you call any river (unimproved.)
Old 06-28-2005, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By checking the turn, he's autobetting the river, which sucks, because your hand has resonable showdown value.

[/ QUOTE ]

This line of thinking makes absolutely no sense. What card can come on the river that decreases your showdown value?

-Mike
Old 06-28-2005, 07:18 AM

I'm a fan of checking here on the turn a lot too, but yes you badly need to call the river if taking this line
Old 06-28-2005, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You also get value when he was raising for the free card on the flop, which is pretty frequent here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean that checkraising flop with a draw and then checking turn is pretty frequent? Normally you checkraise flop with a draw because u want him to fold overcards when you bet turn. Since preflopraiser will almost never fold flop if u checkraise it makes no sense at all to do that and then check turn.

In this actual hand. 3betting flop is good. Checking turn is fine, unless u think he will checkraise with almost anything on flop. You do it because he will pretty often try a bluff on river and sometimes bet a smaller pair then your pair and sometimes bet a good hand when u hit your even better hand (nutflush or 2 pair or trips). So not calling his riverbet is bad.

Only reason to fold river when he bets is if u are 100% sure he will never ever checkraise flop with less then toppair. But how many players are that weak headsup in BB against a stealraise?

If I was BB I would checkraise any pair, any draw and sometimes as a pure bluff because low cards belongs to BB, high cards to preflopraiser. If flop was Axx, I would also often checkraise, because if he got 2 cards between A and xx he is forced to fold on turn.