Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 10:10 PM

Default unheard of structure

Certainly, the game I've stumbled upon is not the mainstream version of hold'em. It is a scramble between a 2/4 small stakes game and no limit, with 25c small blinds and 50c big. Bets and raises can be made in any 25 cent increment up to $4 at a time. If and when a player desires to, going all in is permissable. So it's either up to $4, or everything you have on the table. And my opponents are agressive and very loose. Very.

But then it gets wierd, and I've had a bit of trouble adapting to this particular variation: the last agressor of each round begins the betting on the next round. So by raising without being reraised before the flop, you open the flop no matter what position you held before it.

Could anyone tell me where I should post for advice concerning strategic adjustments for this strange structure? I am also unaware how to adjust to such small blinds in comparrison to $4 bets and raises. Does it require looser play or tighter? Should I hesitate to raise preflop except for with my premium hands (despite the overwhelming looseness of my opponents) just to avoid opening the flop? Any suggestions will be helpful.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: unheard of structure

Find another game. This is just mad poker!
Old 01-19-2005, 02:29 AM

According to Theory of Poker, you should tighten up more when the antes / blinds are small in comparison to stack sizes.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:07 PM

That is weird. You might try the "Other Poker" forum for this crazy game.

While it's true that Sklansky says you should tighten up when the antes are small, I think that applies really for limit games. This is a hybrid but it is, at it's base, a no-limit game with tiny antes. I think you can play some hands with good implied odds. Suited connectors and hands that make the nut flush start looking pretty interesting in a game like this.

Of course, I'm terrible at crazy games, so wait for some other opinions.

Regards,

T