Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Overall a Winner, But the swings are too much

I had been playing a lot of 10 + 1 NL tourneys for the last little while and was thinking I could do this as a part time job. (Not full time).

But I just can't take the swings. I don't know how anyone can play for a living like this. It hurts way too much to say I 'worked' 6 hours today, and LOST money. I played a lot over the xmas break and made a fair amount of money, but I'm quitting for now. I'll play once a month, or so, but not as often as I have been. For those of you that can ake the swings and enjoy it, Thats great, for those of you considering doing it full time, Make sure your one of those people that can handle the swings.

I had been mostly a rec. player, and then decided to track my tourneys over the last 2 weeks. It's something I always knew I should be doing, but just wasn't. Well tracking them was fun, and great for my game.

Here are my recent results. I'm quite sure if i worked at it I could change more of those 4th's into places. But it's just not worth the work.

10+1
1st 17 13%
2nd 18 14%
3rd 17 13%
4th 25 20%
5th 13 10%
6th 9 7%
7th 14 11%
8th 4 3%
9th 5 4%
10th 4 3%

Games: 126
ITM: 41%
Exp: $1,386.00
Rev $1,730.00
Profit $344.00

Now to find a new revenue stream with less swings.. hmmm... Should be fun!

Good luck,

Tim
Old 01-06-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Overall a Winner, But the swings are too much

I think you just had a bad day. If it's any consolation I play the $11s and the $55s and I played for about the same time as you. I was negative ROI in the $11s and about 40% in the $55s. For some reason I couldn't beat them either.

But the swings aren't for everyone! Good luck in the future!

EDIT: Thoese ROI number are just for today BTW [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2005, 02:13 AM

Agreed, the swings are rough. If the SNG tournaments were winner take all they might be profitable. I however can hardly keep my ROI positive because 2nd and 3rd place eat to much of my winnings up to pay for my losses (4 or worse).
Old 01-06-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now to find a new revenue stream with less swings.. hmmm... Should be fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

That revenue stream you're searching for is called a 9 to 5 job. Although everyone likes to dog it, it definitely has it's benefits - a consistent revenue stream with few swings being the major one.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:12 AM

your Return On Investment (ROI%) is low for 10+1s. I believe that a 45% ROI or higher can be attainable at this level, (depending also on how many tables you play). your number of finishes 6th or worse is on the high end, and your number of 1sts is on the low end. then again, this is still a very small sample size.

of course I have no idea where specifically you can make improvements, but I do believe with adjustments and overall improvement you can almost double your win rate and reduce the size and frequency of your downslides.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your Return On Investment (ROI%) is low for 10+1s. I believe that a 45% ROI or higher can be attainable at this level, (depending also on how many tables you play). your number of finishes 6th or worse is on the high end, and your number of 1sts is on the low end. then again, this is still a very small sample size.

of course I have no idea where specifically you can make improvements, but I do believe with adjustments and overall improvement you can almost double your win rate and reduce the size and frequency of your downslides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your way over stateing what ROI is maintainable over the long term.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:51 AM

Hi

Tim, I think your ROI of 24.8% is very good. I play 20+2 and just beat breakeven but only started playing recently though. ITM of 41% very good too and downswings really cant be too bad if your bankroll is big enough. Poker pros lose money regularly "working". And SNG downswings is a lot smaller than in ringgames.

Xhiggy 45% seems high, do you actually attain this? It will motivate me if possible, willing to share some stats.

Regarding skill level at different tables, what do you think the difference between $10, $20 and $30 tables? Maybe Tim could move up to $20? I still lose often to bad odd calls to my bets and get outdrawn, this should actually occur less at higher stakes levels?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:07 AM

even though your sample size is too small for real analysis---

your finish distribution looks like you aren't aggressive enough on the bubble. if you are aggressive enough, your 1st places will approx. equal your 4th places, 2nd less than 1st, and 3rd less than first... at least, that's my opinion... the even 1,2,3 distribution indicates that you are more concerned about finishing ITM than finishing 1st.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:52 AM

I'm new here and have been just lurking for awhile...but had to comment on your idea of doing this as a part time job. Running the numbers I assume (a maybe wrongly) that it's about 1 hour for each tournament on average, maybe a little less???
You logged 126 and made $344. That comes out to around $2.75 an hour. You could make more than DOUBLE that working at McDonalds (although certainly not as much fun in my opinion). So it seems your on the right track just doing this for fun right now, at least until your ROI improves. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Running the numbers I assume (a maybe wrongly) that it's about 1 hour for each tournament on average, maybe a little less???

[/ QUOTE ]

for what it's worth, i average about 3 tourneys an hour two tabling.