Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Analysis of my new aggressive play (Well thought, 12 hands, long)

I am writing this part of the post without looking at your hands yet: You have the absolutely right idea but the wrong application. Mostly, the issue is that you are trying to LAG it up in a $5 tourney, representing big hands when people's thought processes go 'I have an ace, I'll call' on a flop of KT8. Don't do this. For your purposes, gambling just means things like taking coinflips for small chunks of your stack or getting huge odds; that will be far more helpful.

OK, I'll now actually go review your hands.

1)The call is actually not THAT bad solely because you have the button behind 3 limpers (though T8s is vastly better.) If you don't know how to play this hand well postflop, though, it's bad. So anyway, you bet the pot on a paired board with 5 people in it when it got checked to you and turned a flush draw into 72o because you couldn't call a raise. Don't do that and just take your free card.

Hand 2: Fine PF, fine on the flop, take his stack on the turn. He won't fold an ace if you push anyway.

4: Fold PF out of position. Bet or check/call the flop, your 2 is obvious.

6: Bad beat post, don't do this.

7-9: fine

10: Well played, this is an autocall on the river BTW

11: With no reads, just check. This is a move you can make in a tournament where a raise means something, not in a $5. You actually kinda want them in, BTW, because the flip side to this is if the flop comes AK4 you triple up.

12: Frankly I would just push this perfect flop; the pot is big and you want it. PF, you're calling off 10% of your stack with very little against people who will not fold (you should've learned this from hand 11 BTW) if they hit anything.

So yeah, you're on the right track. Just vary your play according to the buyin you are playing.