Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Set vs straight? Take advantage, or play weak?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB (t6697)
UTG (t7650)
UTG+1 (t13365)
MP1 (t3162)
MP2 (t16748)
MP3 (t6250)
CO (t6150)
Button (t4830)
Hero (t5505)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t500, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t1400) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (t1400) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t400</font>, Hero ???

I'm trying to figure out where I can open up my game with more aggression. Does this seem like a reasonable spot to reraise him, representing the best straight? I still have outs to make the boat if he calls. I checked the flop looking to c/r, then the T had me worried. His open raise didn't seem like much more than a steal.

If he has the ignorant end of the straight, I'm thinking I could get him to fold with a reraise.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Set vs straight? Take advantage, or play weak?

i highly doubt he folds a straight of any description. Thats a fold *I* might make, and probally not in a blind steal situation.
I might try to keep the pot small here. I'm pretty sure i'm going to showdown, but i really don't want to get myself stacked here. Weak/tight maybe.. but that's how i'd play it. So i'd call the turn and the river.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:07 PM

if he raised preflop there's almost no way he has the weak end of the straight, unless he's the type of player to raise with 8-8. You're just going to lose more chips with a raise when you don't fill up on the river.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:10 PM

I had his open raise pegged as a steal, so I was thinking he didn't have AK... though some other A, or maybe Kx. I thought he might cbet the flop with AK.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:12 PM

I think your biggest problem here is not betting the flop. With that board, I'd like to see a 2/3 pot to pot bet. Just take it down there. It would help you define your villains hand a bit better, too.

And to answer your question, I think you can call to see if you fill up on the river.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he raised preflop there's almost no way he has the weak end of the straight, unless he's the type of player to raise with 8-8. You're just going to lose more chips with a raise when you don't fill up on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who wouldn't raise 88 in this spot? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

To the original poster: You need to bet this flop hard.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:28 PM

get your money in on the flop, it makes the turn and river easier to play.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:30 AM

I see now it would have been much easier to bet the flop and (hopefully) take it down right there, but I missed that looking for a check/raise.

I did call the turn bet of 400, then we both checked the rag river. He had A8o for the bottom straight, getting the t2200 pot.

I wondered if raising his weak turn bet might have chased him off, but didn't want to risk the chips.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:34 AM

"i have a set, im going to check raise because thats the default play."

come on look at this board... check raising here is horrible IMO. He's not C-betting with a LOT of hands here, smaller pairs, AK might take free card a lot of the time, and you dont want a king, 8 or a T, to take free card,

I'm leading out on this flop every time, and you'll be amazed how often people raise you with absolutely nothing.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:38 AM

I was being greedy... looking for more chips. At the time I thought betting the flop might take it down, but I hoped for a continuation bet first. Bad move and it cost me t400 more and the pot.