Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Bad push??

8 handed live freeze out. NLHE $20 buy in plus one $20 add on. 2k chips to start, 2k add on. Top two get paid. All remaining players have taken the add on already. Blinds are 300 and 600.

Approximate stacks are:
Me: 5800
Seat 2: 7500
Seat 3: 1200
Seat 4: 3300

The big stack has been min raising pretty much every hand. I have suspicion he has been getting hit with the deck, but undoubtedly has been stealing pots. He has shown down some legitamate preflop raising hands. He is also prone to calling all in raises preflop with less than stellar hands.

On to the hand:

Four handed I am dealt A-7o in the SB. Folds to me, I complete, BB min raises (as I expect) and I push.

Standard play?

If you think this is a bad play, how strong do you have to be to make this play, knowing you will likely be called by a wide variety of hands? Including A-4 and higher, K-9, k-10, Q-10, and Q-J are all hands he will likely play with. He will likely also call with ANY pocket pair.

Thoughts?

PG
Old 07-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Bad push??

Push pre-flop.

By that, I mean, just push, not call, re-raise. You just encouraged him to make a play on you. Open pushing solves that problem.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push pre-flop.

By that, I mean, just push, not call, re-raise. You just encouraged him to make a play on you. Open pushing solves that problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You just encouraged him to make a play on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive me if your point is not obvious to me. I expected him to raise, and I welcomed it as well. Does my read of my opponent not have any value in this situation?

My limp reraise was to get more value for my hand when I am most like even money or a decent favorite. If I open push and he folds, all I win is his 600 chips.

I give my opponent enough credit to recognize a trap, so my hand does have some fold equity as well.

PG
Old 07-15-2005, 02:43 PM

you win the 900 chips that are in the pot, which is a pretty good addition to your 5800 (5500 after posting) chip stack. I don't see any reason to get tricky with this marginal holding. There's 1000 chips in the pot. get them.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you win the 900 chips that are in the pot, which is a pretty good addition to your 5800 (5500 after posting) chip stack. I don't see any reason to get tricky with this marginal holding. There's 1000 chips in the pot. get them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus, A7 is hardly a trapping hand. You already said this guy is pretty loose. I don't think he'll call an open push with marginal hands, but if he raises first and then you push, he might feel that he has enough in the pot already to call. You'd really prefer to take the 900 without seeing a showdown here.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, A7 is hardly a trapping hand. You already said this guy is pretty loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against most opponents I wouldn't even have to think about it. But, given my read on the situation, I really don't mind a call. What will he call with that I won't want to see? A bigger ace or a pocket pair 77 or above. The chance that holds one of these hands is a risk, but I think it is one worth taking. Furthermore the possibility that he will call with a hand like QJ or KT also strengthens my position. Winning the hand will put me in a commanding position for the rest of the tournament.

In the actual hand he called my reraise with 66, which I think is a bad decision to risk that many chips to the only player who can cripple him.

I didn't improve and got knocked out.

Thanks for the input.

PG
Old 07-15-2005, 04:46 PM

Push preflop first in before doing limp stuff.

It's not close at all.

And picking up t600 is huge, almost all of the time.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against most opponents I wouldn't even have to think about it. But, given my read on the situation, I really don't mind a call. What will he call with that I won't want to see? A bigger ace or a pocket pair 77 or above. The chance that holds one of these hands is a risk, but I think it is one worth taking. Furthermore the possibility that he will call with a hand like QJ or KT also strengthens my position. Winning the hand will put me in a commanding position for the rest of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, your thinking is very flawed. I'd much rather take the blinds of 900 without a showdown than have him call my re-raise push. If I KNEW that he had QJ, I still don't want him calling.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:09 PM

i'd mind a call

i'll take 1000 chips for free rather than risk my chips on a coin flip