Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 07:07 AM

Default What Went Wrong Here?

No reads. Should I have reraised on the flop? What the hell. I didn't bet the turn because I thought QTo was likely. I don't know, I got scared I guess. I was hoping to either fill or at least see a brick river and then make a decision on whether or not he actually has the straight. Advice is appreciated. Thanks.

-----
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed)

MP2 ($110.95)
MP3 ($95.80)
Hero ($100)
Button ($169.55)
SB ($104.50)
BB ($32.75)
UTG ($103.25)
UTG+1 ($103.55)
MP1 ($22.50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls $1, Hero (poster) checks, Button calls $1, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($6) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $4</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $31.75</font>, UTG calls $27.75, Hero calls $19.75.

Turn: ($101.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: ($101.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $70.5 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $171.75</font>
-----

And is it just me, or is playing 2 pair extremely frustrating? Results later, although not that important.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Re: What Went Wrong Here?

Bottom two is junk imo. Toss it if you get substantially reraised.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:15 AM

Right. $81.50 in the pot and I have to call $19.75. I'm not folding getting over 4:1. Do you suggest calling or raising here?
Old 06-17-2005, 07:30 AM

I don't like playing bottom two when there's serious action, especially multi way. It's too weak to get aggressive with and too easy to draw out on, especially with two in the pot.
It's also a diffficult hand to lay down on later streets because it's hard to tell whether you're ahead. Even though I'm guessing villains were donks, often times you could be near dead here. So I'd be folding this.

If the board was say K78 and villain had raised pf, different story
Old 06-17-2005, 07:35 AM

You're folding two pair on a super draw heavy board while getting over 4:1? Okay.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:49 AM

What happened to BB in the original hand history?
[ QUOTE ]
BB raises to $31.75, UTG calls $27.75, Hero calls $19.75.

Turn: ($101.25) 8 (3 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You're folding bottom two pair on a super draw heavy board while getting over 4:1? Okay

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm not calling on that board, and I'm not pushing either. JMO.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:52 AM

Would a decent player play QT UTG? It's possible that Villian was betting into the FLush Draw on the flop, missed and saw your check on the turn as weakness. Took the free card and figured you were still weak. Missed his flush but bluffed. Alternatively and more likely he hit a set, better 2 pair or he's got the nuts, whatever even if it is a bluff you can't call. Good fold IMO
Old 06-17-2005, 07:57 AM

BB is all in. Why would you fold this? Even if you're behind to a straight you have redraws. Crappy redraws, but redraws nonetheless. Not to mention we don't even know for sure that I'm behind. Someone having a set of Nines or Deuces is unlikely as I have one of each. I doubt anybody has Jacks either. I don't think I can fold this, especially when the guy showing the most aggression isn't even in the hand anymore.

[ QUOTE ]
Would a decent player play QT UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but a typical $100 NL player would.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:04 AM

This hand is pretty straightforward. You have an opportunity on the flop to decide if you're in or you're out. Let's put it this way, if you're beat on the flop, there's no card coming that will help you. If he has JJ or 99 you're done, if he has 22 or J9 you have two outs, which you definitely don't have odds for. There are plenty of possible draws (flush and straight). So you need to decide on the flop if your hand is good. If you think it is, push. If not, fold to the raise. There's no way you should call and see turn and river...or things like what happened will happen.

Personally, he isn't on a draw. Unless he's really loose, he's got you beat. To reraise after two sizeable raises must indicate that he's got a winner and doesn't want to see a turn. He's got a set or maybe a straight flush draw -- something good.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BB is all in. Why would you fold this? Even if you're behind to a straight you have redraws. Crappy redraws, but redraws nonetheless. Not to mention we don't even know for sure that I'm behind. Someone having a set of Nines or Deuces is unlikely as I have one of each. I doubt anybody has Jacks either. I don't think I can fold this, especially when the guy showing the most aggression isn't even in the hand anymore.

[ QUOTE ]
Would a decent player play QT UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but a typical $100 NL player would.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read the post properly and missed that the BB was all in. Yeah you could put him on a draw making his play a call however the other player has something and bottom 2 pair aint that strong. I still say fold.