Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Spew or Good call?

villan is 37/10 and pretty agressive on later streets. I've seen him make several suspicious bets but none of them got to showdown.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($17.85)
MP ($317.69)
CO ($172.07)
Button ($109.25)
SB ($184.23)
Hero ($100)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($6) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG calls $5, MP folds, CO folds, Button calls $5, SB folds.

Turn: ($21) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11.85</font>, UTG folds, Button calls $11.85.

River: ($44.70) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $35</font>, Hero calls $35.

Final Pot: $114.70
Old 11-10-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Spew or Good call?

Bet the river for 15. If he raises, then you can fold.

As it played out here, you're giving him a chance to bluff with missed KJ/J9/flush draw, which in some circumstances is good, but not when your hand isnt very strong itself. You leave yourself a tougher decision by not betting the river. I don't know if i could call this bet, as you arent beating much of anything other than a bluff.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if i could call this bet, as you arent beating much of anything other than a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the way I saw it was the only logical hand he could have was a bluff or a slowplay and I thought a bluff was more likely than a slowplay. I don't think you can really help just given a hand history so I will try to communicate my thought process. Do you think the thought process leading to the call was sound?

I don't think he has a T. He is tight enough that he would have folded a lone T by now

I think he is on a draw. He is an agressive enough player that he would haver raised or folded any really good made hand on this draw heavy board by now(2 pair, set).

if I bet the river I don't think he will call with any worse hands.

if i check the river he may bet with worse hands.

I check.

He bets 35

I don't think this is the type of player who slowplays much. I already thought he would have raised a monster before the river so I discount out a boat.

I don't think a bigger Q would make that large of a bet.

He's representing either a Ten or a full house. I don't think he would just call until the river with either.

I call.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:05 AM

Good reasoning, and your call looks ok. Ignoring the result (which I dont know yet) this hand shows that reads are very important by all means.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good reasoning, and your call looks ok.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-10-2005, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the river for 15. If he raises, then you can fold.

As it played out here, you're giving him a chance to bluff with missed KJ/J9/flush draw, which in some circumstances is good, but not when your hand isnt very strong itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny, I see what you're trying to say, but I come to the opposite conclusion.

Blocking bet is bad here IMO.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
villan is 37/10 and pretty agressive on later streets. I've seen him make several suspicious bets but none of them got to showdown.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($17.85)
MP ($317.69)
CO ($172.07)
Button ($109.25)
SB ($184.23)
Hero ($100)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($6) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG calls $5, MP folds, CO folds, Button calls $5, SB folds.

Turn: ($21) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11.85</font>, UTG folds, Button calls $11.85.

River: ($44.70) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $35</font>, Hero calls $35.

Final Pot: $114.70

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll say he was bluffing his missed flush draw.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:16 AM

Turn bet is kinda small, don't want to invite him to make a move on you on the turn while you can't call. But other than that, it looks right.